Left hand lug nuts

I was helping a friend with his homemade trailer. Taking the wheels off I found one wheel had left hand lug nuts. So this was an old Dodge/Plymouth axle I assume. What years did Dodge/Plymouth use left hand treads on their cars/trucks?

Dennis

I'll see your one left handed hub and raise you another.

Bought a yard trailer at an auction for $1. BOTH hubs had all left-handed lugs.

The trailer was made from cutoff trailer axles. I assume someone cut up an old tandem axel travel trailer and took the "right" hubs for their "good" trailer and used these to make this trailer.

I always chuckle at left-handed studs on the left sides of old vehicles, as if the forces at work were high enough, and there was enough inertia in those lug nuts to "sling" off in a hard stop... on vehicles that barely had brakes and could barely do the speed limit.

I think the LH bolts/studs were a carryover from the earlier designs that used a single center fastener, like knockoff wheels. Chrysler used them up through the early sixties as did some big GM cars, Studebaker, Nash and probably others.

I had 89 and 90 Mitsubishi Fuso trucks, little tilt cab jobs using 16 wheels with LH studs on the drivers side. Even the rear dual attachement stud/nut.

Well i started working on Mopars back in 68 and the left side was all left hand back then . And even when i became a partsmanager at a chrysler plymouth dealership the left hand was still in use . every weekend when i went to the drag strip i had a supply of left hand wheel studs and nut with me in my tool box because someone would twist off two or three before they figured out that righty tighty lefty looses does not work on the left side of a Mo Par and here they would come Hey man you have any wheel studs and nuts so and so said you had some . I twisted mine off . a Vary fast moving part , no dust ever built up in that bin

Got any left in that bin? My trailer is missing one and you can't find a 1/2" LH stud local these days. I paid $1 for the trailer, I'm not paying $20 for one stud.

Already spent $15 on a 5-pack of LH lug nuts.

Right now it's, "If 3 don't hold it 5 never would have." I only use the trailer to cart around my chainsaws.

My doodlebug has a Ford Model AA rear axle. The left side lug nuts are left hand thread, but the big nut for the wheel bearing is right hand. That doesn't really make sense to me.

60 Olds super 88 rear diff in my 26 model
T has left hand on the left side. Buick
and Pontiac from that era also had them.
Seems to me my 63 olds still had the left
hand thread. Never seen it on a Chevy
though.

I have old trailer that we broke off a couple of the left
hand studs and just replaced with right hand. So on one
wheel three are left and two are right. Fortunately the
lefts have a L stamped on the end to help me remember.
Some day when they sell me out someone will find that
and say what the???? and Ill just look down and chuckle.

(quoted from post at 11:36:07 05/22/23) Got any left in that bin? My trailer is missing one and you can't find a 1/2" LH stud local these days. I paid $1 for the trailer, I'm not paying $20 for one stud.

Already spent $15 on a 5-pack of LH lug nuts.

Right now it's, "If 3 don't hold it 5 never would have." I only use the trailer to cart around my chainsaws.
Could you knock the left hand studs out and install right hand studs?

My 1962 Jag XKE had one spinner nut.
Left side had left handed threads.
Right side had right handed threads.
Used a brass hammer to change tires.

My 49 Pontiac has left thread on the left.
cvphoto155112.jpg

Chrysler used them later than the 60's and my 2000 Pete has right and left hand nuts. I just assume the left side is left hand and so on. If it is something I'm unsure about I look at the end of the threads for a direction on them. Or if they are clean and rust free enough you can look at the end of the threads for an L or an R. Even Chevy uesded them on bigger trucks with the budd wheels.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back