licensed mechanics

jimg.allentown

The purpose of this post is to clear the air about licensing of mechanics.

I have read several references about someone being a "licensed" mechanic. As far as I know, there is no such thing.

I made a living as a mechanic for many years. In that time, I have never possessed or been asked for such a license. I have a license to perform automobile inspections. I have been certified by ASE as a master automobile technician as well as a master heavy duty truck technician. also hold a refrigeration license issued by the EPA. I also have many certifications from car manufacturers Ford and GM. During the time that I had my own shop, I was required to have a business license. Same as the hardware store, the sewing machine shop, and the beauty shop in the next block.

But never a mechanic's license.

The question here is where, if anyplace, is such a license issued or required to do repair work on automobiles? Or is it something that gets added on to add some "power" to a description of somebody's qualifications? Curious minds want to know.

In Michigan to do repairs for hire on vehicles, legally, you must have a Mich Mechanics license, issued by the state after passing their test.

I have been a mechanic on generators since 1974. I did have a license for natural gas and propane systems. Certified in generator and control systems. But never heard of a license to be a mechanic.

You have to be DOT qualified in order to work on or operate a natural gas compressor station. Lot of paper work to keep up.

I know this was not exactly what you were asking but the way things are headed in today's world who knows what's next.

I are a mechinec, and am licensed. I have one to drive a big truck, flat beds tankers, and doubles. I have one to ride my Harley scooter. I also have one to carry a side arm whiles I do it. Yep, I am licensed.Some things I been doing for so long they call it Grandfathered in. In those times no paper needed. Al

I think they are confusing certified with licensed. That being said are there some states that have some type of licensing program??? Like plumbers or electricians. That I can only say not in any of the mid-west states I know anything about.

Canada has mechanic licensing. Apprentice, journeyman, master etc. Some states require licensing to provide state inspection stickers.

Ran a few shops for 18+ years in Virginia never heard of a licensed mechanic. State Safety Inspectors yes.

I have my DOT controls certification for working on natural gas compressor stations.

What a PIA, but the rules.

I watch South Main Auto from Avoca, NY on Youtube. I have heard him say that his shop is a licensed shop. Oh yea, he has a Famall tractor.

Couple local shops got shut down recently, they were running without licensed mechanics. The state closed them up.

New York does have "Registered repair shops", which means the shop has a business license to work on vehicles.
The mechanic is not licensed. Merely a business license.https://dmv.ny.gov/repair/open-repair-body-shop

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back