Lift Arm Leveling Crank

This is probably a stupid question, but I will ask it anyway.

The right side of my 8n has a crank lever to raise and lower the arm for the 3 point take off. When I turn the crank, the arm moves so little, it is hard to tell whether it is going up or down. So, when you turn the crank handle clockwise, does it raise or lower the arm? Could not find anything in the 8n owners manual.

Thanks.

Tom

The right side of my 8n has a crank lever to raise and lower the arm for the 3 point take off. When I turn the crank, the arm moves so little, it is hard to tell whether it is going up or down. So, when you turn the crank handle clockwise, does it raise or lower the arm? Could not find anything in the 8n owners manual.

Thanks.

Tom
HiYa Tom - Welcome aboard the YT N-Board. Do you have the OEM OWNER/OPERATOR'S MANUAL? Info is in there. SEE SCANS. There is a grease fitting on the top of crank. Apply a few dabs now and then. Note there is groove witness mark on the shaft that marks werti set to for stabdardevl setting of about 18".

Your Mileage May Vary,
Tim Daley (MI)

Attachments

• NFORD003.jpg
    NFORD003.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 19
  • NFORD030.jpg
    NFORD030.jpg
    882 KB · Views: 17
  • NFORD031.jpg
    NFORD031.jpg
    964.8 KB · Views: 18

Thanks.

Tom
Lower, Dan just rebuilt one go to the bottom of page AI pulls up topics related to a post I am not fond of how AI works here it is what it is.

look for "NAA leveling box extra hole"

Look at this one Tim has a breakdown of it.

Adjustable lift arm snapped, how hard are these to get?​

Tom, my post Hobo references to was on my NAA. Your 8N will be the same. There is a gear attached to the hand crank on the inside of your leveling box that is more than likely worn down. My post has a pic of this. What this does is not allow the two gears to mesh so it skips teeth as you turn it. This is an easy fix and more than likely the gear on the hand crank will be the only gear damaged as the one on the shaft appears to be much harder. You can get this gear on this website.

That said, I suggest that you take the box apart BEFORE ordering parts just to make sure. Also could be as simple as a pin sheared off causing your problem so best to check first.

Good luck

Thanks for the responses but, they did not answer my question. Let me put it another way. I want to lower the arm with the crank. Do I turn it clockwise or counterclockwise?

Thanks.

Tom

WHY DON'T YOU TRY IT AND SEE? CW UP
Tim,

The arm is up, the threaded rod is at the end of travel and crank handle doesn't want to turn either way. Before I try to force the crank handle loose, I want to know which way I should be trying to turn it.

I thought this would be a simple question that most everyone who owns an 8n would know. But, apparently not.

Tim,

The arm is up, the threaded rod is at the end of travel and crank handle doesn't want to turn either way. Before I try to force the crank handle loose, I want to know which way I should be trying to turn it.

I thought this would be a simple question that most everyone who owns an 8n would know. But, apparently not.
clockwise goes down, that is standing behind the tractor.

Tim,

There are very few stupid questions.

It would have been simpler though if you had stated that it was stuck at the upper end of it's travel and you couldn't turn it at all.

Then no one would have suggested trying to turn it to see which way was which.

My first thought was to tell you to try it also.

Clarity is helpful to everyone.

Tim,

If it is stuck, I suggest starting by unhooking the fork from the lift arm. You can then use a couple pipe wrenches on the fork and shaft to be sure the threads of those are not seized together, keeping any force needed to turn those free from the crank gears. That may be all it takes to let the crank work. If the crank doesn't turn when the fork is off the lift arm, it is likely seized inside the leveling box and gears.

Tim,

I thought this would be a simple question that most everyonewho owns an 8n would know. But, apparently not.
Sounds like yours got boogerd up at the end of thread, cross-threaded probably, on either male or female end and now won't screw in. Seen it happen before. Will it come off to inspect both? OPTION #2: Shop for a good used one on fleabay and get another to replace.

Tim

I had to use a torch to heat the solidified 70 year old grease so
I could get mine apart. Ended up needing the thrust bearing and a new expansion plug to re-seal it. Works great now. By the way, it uses push in grease fitting - not thread in.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back