Lift arms stuck up

Red Rex

Ford 4000 diesel 3 cyl built 4/68 with independent PTO.

Lift arms will not go down regardless of position control lever. Implements drop over time but raise right back up soon as tractor cranks.

I am thinking bad pressure relief valve. Is it possible to remove the valve without removing the pump?

Thanks, Andy

(quoted from post at 15:02:10 09/09/23) Ford 4000 diesel 3 cyl built 4/68 with independent PTO.

Lift arms will not go down regardless of position control lever. Implements drop over time but raise right back up soon as tractor cranks.

I am thinking bad pressure relief valve. Is it possible to remove the valve without removing the pump?

Thanks, Andy
robably wrong "thinking".....much more likely and often......a stuck unloader valve.

(quoted from post at 12:02:10 09/09/23) Ford 4000 diesel 3 cyl built 4/68 with independent PTO.

Thanks, Andy

When i first got my 63 ford 4000 the 3 point wasn't working at all. Then when i wasn't paying attn. the 3 point arms went to the max lift postion and were stuck there. I started removing lift cover bolts. when i loosened acc. plate bolts oil gushed out and the lift arms went down. Caught me by surprise. Still don't know what caused that. I have since taken all valves apart and trying to figure out whay stuck. Still a work in progress

(quoted from post at 13:12:17 09/09/23) Thanks for the tip. How to test that unloaded valve?

I think your unloader valve is different than mine so i'm no help.

This post was edited by nashranch on 09/09/2023 at 04:52 pm.

(quoted from post at 16:12:17 09/09/23) Thanks for the tip. How to test that unloaded valve?
know of no way to test it. Disassemble and remove it and check to be sure it is very free to move, as a very reduced hydraulic pressure is what moves it. No mechanical connection.

You ll have to pull the lift top off to remove and clean the unloaded valve
While you have it off remove and clean the control valve and check all linkage adjustments
This would also be a good time to replace the lift piston seal

If you don t have some type of repair manual get one

Thanks! I have an IT service manual.

Was wondering if I will have to remove the pump tho get
to the pressure relief valve. I have independent PTO so it
is on the bottom of the pump

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back