Log Splitter as Third Hand

RedMF40

I just cut a five-foot log straight down the middle to create a little rustic bench. I used my log splitter to hold it vertically, got on my step ladder and cut straight down with my chain saw. I stopped when I got close to the log splitter and just cut off the remaining 6" or so. I had low expectations but the cut was very even. Not perfect, but good enough for a rustic bench.

I just cut a five-foot log straight down the middle to create a little rustic bench. I used my log splitter to hold it vertically, got on my step ladder and cut straight down with my chain saw. I stopped when I got close to the log splitter and just cut off the remaining 6" or so. I had low expectations but the cut was very even. Not perfect, but good enough for a rustic bench.
I have used my log splitter to bend metal a few times.

Years ago I tack welded a couple of steel plates onto the wedge and pusher on a wood splitter.My friend used it for a vise to cut the logs for his log home.He was using a small Homelite chain saw,and a Wright reciprocating saw.Worked nicely,no chasing the wood around on horses.I just built a log home,but my splitter is a rack and pinion,not hydraulic,so I couldn't do it that way.I set up a ratchet strap on a plank table to cut mine.I used a 16 inch skilsaw,not a chainsaw.

Years ago I tack welded a couple of steel plates onto the wedge and pusher on a wood splitter.My friend used it for a vise to cut the logs for his log home.He was using a small Homelite chain saw,and a Wright reciprocating saw.Worked nicely,no chasing the wood around on horses.I just built a log home,but my splitter is a rack and pinion,not hydraulic,so I couldn't do it that way.I set up a ratchet strap on a plank table to cut mine.I used a 16 inch skilsaw,not a chainsaw.
I've bucked a few logs that I didn't cut short enough at the time I was splitting wood. Light bulb went off when I figured out I could use the ram to hold the log in place while I cut. For the log bench, I think the cut was good because I was going straight down from the top. Easier to use gravity to guide the saw. Very stable, no movement. To clarify, the log was 5' in length, not diameter. Small bench to put down in the woods by the stream.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back