Massey Harris 55 Western pictures

centash

These pictures are from the original Massey Catalogue,printed in 1952 and in 1957
for the 555. Just because these tractors are shown does not necessarily mean they
were sold as such, but it's a bout as close as we can get to the actual production.
Enjoy!
Ben
cvphoto111704.jpg

cvphoto111705.jpg

And lastly...note the 55 s were promoted as the biggest farm tractor on wheels...and at Nebraska test corrected 68 horse power, were the most powerful tractor on rubber til the JD 80 came out...
cvphoto111708.jpg

cvphoto111709.jpg

Note also the differences in the paint on the 55 models....These were colorized prints of actual black and white photos....I don't think the wheel hubs were red when new, and most Masseys of that era had red air intake stacks....though some were black....and the 1946 and 1947 models had black painted engines....to add to the confusion....and the 1947 had a centennial decal on the top of the grille and cast iron foot pedals.

Ben

Dad went to Kemptville Agricultural school from 1947 to 1949. As part of the ag program, the class was visited by reps from Oliver, John Deere and Massey Harris. Dad was always impressed by the Massey "Western Specials". Some of it must have rubbed off- I still have a 102Jr. unc

Thank you centash for the pictures of the Massey brochure. I wish I had one like that for my collection. Merry Christmas and all the best in the new year.

Cool pictures....esp. The high altitude 55, never seen one of those before. Also the 555 diesel looks like a Riceland model with those tires. I always like the 55 series as well, had 5 different ones over the years. I also had one with a 3-71 Detroit Diesel replacing the Massey engine. It looked like a commercially built conversion kit, but I never could find any info about that. Neat tractor, though!

Ben
cvphoto111804.jpg

That looks like a very impressive machine. Thanks for the pic. We never had a 55 but we had 44s and a 44special, also a Super 101. We did have neighbors that farmed with 55s as their big tractors in the 50s and early 60s, they traded up to the MF Super 90 and Mf95s or 97s in the 60s. I have always liked the Massey Harris tractor, and thought they were really good tractors, I can not understand why there is not more interest in them in the collector circles.

There is an interest here in Canada, mostly because Massey was a Canadian company, and at one time, the largest manufacturer of an equipment in the world, with factories in most Commonwealth countries. They were leaders in self propelled combines at their inception, but the company could not keep up to the competition. The Ferguson line helped sales a lot, but held more of the smaller tractor market. After Deere and IH, probably the third most collected tractor here. I also have a 44 Special, it was a one owner tractor, and in very nice original condition.

Ben
cvphoto111886.jpg

Well danofarming they all burned lots of gas when they where out working in the field but if you look at the Nebraska tests I think you will find they where no worse than tractors of a comparable size. My dad farmed with two of them back in the day and really liked them. Thats why I have two in my collection now. All the best in the new year.

Well danofarming they all burned lots of gas when they where out working in the field but if you look at the Nebraska tests I think you will find they where no worse than tractors of a comparable size. My dad farmed with two of them back in the day and really liked them. Thats why I have two in my collection now. All the best in the new year.
Hello.....late to the discussion but I just discovered the site...and thread....I just acquired a Massey Harris 55k....needs lots of help and love...
20240414_155514.jpg
20240414_155337.jpg
20240414_154941.jpg

Yeah it was....32 years ago I worked at his sawmill there....and at that time it was parked there for a year or so...

Now, that's a rare one indeed....never seen a kerosene model before, and that manifold must very rare. Looks to be modified somewhat, with the fenders and rear wheels unique....and a 44 grille to fit over the bracket in front. I hope you plan to restore it, lots of good info on this site

Ben

Yes the rear wheels are definitely home made ...you say that's a 44 grille on it....excuse my dumb questions...I don't really know much about MH tractors....I have a MH 35 SP combine but that's all I have MH....yessir I plan on restoring the ol gal...it deserves it

Yes the rear wheels are definitely home made ...you say that's a 44 grille on it....excuse my dumb questions...I don't really know much about MH tractors....I have a MH 35 SP combine but that's all I have MH....yessir I plan on restoring the ol gal...it deserves it
A 55 grille will have 9 slots, a 44 grille has 8 slots, to accommodate the lower hood line on a 44. I am assuming that 44 grille was used since the bracket installed on the front of the tractor would interfere with the taller 55 grille....but I could be wrong, that happens .....!
Good luck with your restoration, keep us posted.

Ben

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back