MF 35 Clutch Problem

I have a MF 35 with Perkins diesel. AS I was using it while cutting grass the free clutch play went from about 1 inch to about 4 inches over about one hour.. I adjusted the free play back to about 3/4 of an inch but then I could push the clutch pedal far enough to disengage the tractor but could not push it far enough to disengage PTO. I couldn't push the pedal any farther. Anyone have any idea what the problem might be. Clutch?

Pedal is not holding onto the shaft well enough to keep it from turning? Check the gap where the bolt goes through. If its worn enough, the gap closes up, and you can't tighten it down enough to grip the clutch shaft. Or the bolt threads are stripped so you can't tighten it enough. steve

Thanks for your reply. The pedal slipping on the shaft is not the problem. I checked that first thing. I readjusted the free play to 3/4 of an inch and still couldn't get it to work.

90%
I have a MF 35 with Perkins diesel. AS I was using it while cutting grass the free clutch play went from about 1 inch to about 4 inches over about one hour.. I adjusted the free play back to about 3/4 of an inch but then I could push the clutch pedal far enough to disengage the tractor but could not push it far enough to disengage PTO. I couldn't push the pedal any farther. Anyone have any idea what the problem might be. Clutch?
90% of the time when the freeplay increases, the throwout bearing is toast. the fingers are wearing out from the bad bearing, and it will fail to work very soon. If there is an inspection plate, take a look for metal shavings or shrapnel in the clutch housing. Jim

+1 on the Clutch release fork slipping.

If the forks would break before they bent enough to allow 3" of Freeplay in the peddle.

I'm with Jim, release bearing is shot, then continued use wears away the three release lever bolt heads. Seen it several times as an OLD MF mechanic. The fork won't slip inside as it has tapered square head bolts in it.

90%

90% of the time when the freeplay increases, the throwout bearing is toast. the fingers are wearing out from the bad bearing, and it will fail to work very soon. If there is an inspection plate, take a look for metal shavings or shrapnel in the clutch housing. Jim

90%

Thanks, I have the tractor divided now and the throwout bearing is bad. I am going to replace the clutch, throwout bearing and bearing carrier. Have the parts on order now.

Thanks for all replies. I have the tractor divided now and the throwout bearing is bad and has worn the forks on the clutch so I have one on order now along with the bearing carrier.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back