MF35 Gearbox Issue

Milko

New User
I’ve read all the threads I can find with no solution that works yet. Bear in mind I’m no mechanic. I had my 1960 MF35 petrol stuck in reverse and managed to fix that thanks to this group. Now however, the problem has me stumped. With the engine off and clutch in or out, all the gears change well. Everything move smoothly when looking through the filler cap. Plus, when looking up through the inspection plate, the clutch seems to be doing its job with no sticking. However, with the engine running, it’s a different story. I can move smoothly into R, 1, 2, 3 with the clutch in or out but once I move the small shifter into either H or L, the tractor stays in that gear and only shutting it down let’s me get it back into N. Plus, if I select L and any gear, the tractor moves even with the clutch it but not when in H. If anyone has any idea, they’re a genius.

I’ve read all the threads I can find with no solution that works yet. Bear in mind I’m no mechanic. I had my 1960 MF35 petrol stuck in reverse and managed to fix that thanks to this group. Now however, the problem has me stumped. With the engine off and clutch in or out, all the gears change well. Everything move smoothly when looking through the filler cap. Plus, when looking up through the inspection plate, the clutch seems to be doing its job with no sticking. However, with the engine running, it’s a different story. I can move smoothly into R, 1, 2, 3 with the clutch in or out but once I move the small shifter into either H or L, the tractor stays in that gear and only shutting it down let’s me get it back into N. Plus, if I select L and any gear, the tractor moves even with the clutch it but not when in H. If anyone has any idea, they’re a genius.
Welcome to the forums.

Do you have the MF Operators and Service manuals for your tractor?

One doesn't need to be a genius to determine it sounds like you have a clutch problem. Here are some of the possibilities that keep the clutch from disengaging. Not in a particular order of likelihood but #1 should be checked first.

1. Possibly the clutch adjustment is way out of whack. How much free play (the travel before you feel resistance from pushing on the throwout bearing) does the pedal have?

2. The clutch disc has started to break up, piled up some friction material between the flywheel and pressure plate, and the pressure plate doesn't travel far enough to clear the piled-up material.

3. The pressure plate has partially failed and is not releasing squarely thus causing a drag that keeps things moving.

If the clutch disc was stuck to the flywheel or pressure plate, I would expect it move the tractor in Hi as well as Lo. Since you say it moves in LO but not in Hi, it sounds like it has some slip (disengagement).

When you look at the clutch through the inspection plate are all the fingers the same distance from the throwout bearing?

How far away from the fingers is the throwout bearing when no one is touching the clutch pedal?

Post a picture of what you see of the clutch through the inspection hole.

Pics of a 1963 MF 35 6 speed No Multi-power
Gives you an idea of the inner workings..

Attachments

• DSCN9763.JPG
    DSCN9763.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 14
  • DSCN0004.JPG
    DSCN0004.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 9
  • DSCN0003.JPG
    DSCN0003.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 9
  • DSCN0004.JPG
    DSCN0004.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 10
  • DSCN0054.JPG
    DSCN0054.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 10
  • DSCN9673.JPG
    DSCN9673.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 12
  • DSCN9691.JPG
    DSCN9691.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 10
Welcome to the forums.

Do you have the MF Operators and Service manuals for your tractor?

One doesn't need to be a genius to determine it sounds like you have a clutch problem. Here are some of the possibilities that keep the clutch from disengaging. Not in a particular order of likelihood but #1 should be checked first.

1. Possibly the clutch adjustment is way out of whack. How much free play (the travel before you feel resistance from pushing on the throwout bearing) does the pedal have?

2. The clutch disc has started to break up, piled up some friction material between the flywheel and pressure plate, and the pressure plate doesn't travel far enough to clear the piled-up material.

3. The pressure plate has partially failed and is not releasing squarely thus causing a drag that keeps things moving.

If the clutch disc was stuck to the flywheel or pressure plate, I would expect it move the tractor in Hi as well as Lo. Since you say it moves in LO but not in Hi, it sounds like it has some slip (disengagement).

When you look at the clutch through the inspection plate are all the fingers the same distance from the throwout bearing?

How far away from the fingers is the throwout bearing when no one is touching the clutch pedal?

Post a picture of what you see of the clutch through the inspection hole.
Thanks very much for the detailed response. Apologies for not responding sooner but I’m only get to work on the farm on weekends.

I have adjusted the clutch lever every which way and the lever is working correctly once at the correct setting. By that I mean the tractor stops moving when the clutch is depressed.

Looking up through the inspection plat, everything looks clean and is moving freely. Obviously I cant see the top of the flywheel etc. though.

With the engine off, both selectors move freely on their own annd when used together and from what I can see, the main gears are moving into the correct positions.

With the engine off however, both selectors still move freely by themselves UNTIL I try to put both selectors into gear. Then I can only get into a gear if I use the main selector first and then slam hi/lo into hi. And once done, I cannot change gear without turning the engine off and moving the tractor back and forth to get them into neutral.

It appears there’s no easy way to access the top of the gearbox on the 35 to see what is happening without splitting it unless I’m mistaken?

Thanks very much for the detailed response. Apologies for not responding sooner but I’m only get to work on the farm on weekends.

I have adjusted the clutch lever every which way and the lever is working correctly once at the correct setting. By that I mean the tractor stops moving when the clutch is depressed.

Looking up through the inspection plat, everything looks clean and is moving freely. Obviously I cant see the top of the flywheel etc. though.

With the engine off, both selectors move freely on their own annd when used together and from what I can see, the main gears are moving into the correct positions.

With the engine off however, both selectors still move freely by themselves UNTIL I try to put both selectors into gear. Then I can only get into a gear if I use the main selector first and then slam hi/lo into hi. And once done, I cannot change gear without turning the engine off and moving the tractor back and forth to get them into neutral.

It appears there’s no easy way to access the top of the gearbox on the 35 to see what is happening without splitting it unless I’m mistaken?
On Apr 28, 2024 I posted several pics. If the Tractor was my Tractor (I own a 1963 MF 35) I would lift the Transmission Gear box COVER as per the Service Manual pic that I posted to your topic "MF 35 Gearbox Issue"
All the best. Your $$$$$..Your Tractor.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back