Mitsubishi K3B Engine

Mtjohnso

I have a Satoh Mitsubishi Buck with the Mitsubishi K3B diesel engine. Drove it down to the neighbors field to brush hog. Has I started to run the brush hog it lost power, which I think is coincidental. Did not have enough power to drive itself home so I towed it home with an Old Farmall Super A.
It will start after sitting for a while and run up to about 1500 rpm before it starts to miss. It will run for about 2 to 3 minutes before it dies completely. Below 1500 rpm it will die if you put a load on the engine.
So it seems like it is a fuel starvation issue. This would point to the injector pump or possible the injectors themselves. Unlikely that all three are failing at once.
I did check fuel flow to the injector pump right after the engine stalled and there was plenty of fuel. I suppose there could still possibly be something in the fuel tank or the filter assembly that is getting in the way when the engine is running and then floating up when the engine quits.
So what steps do I need to take to trouble shoot this? Should I just remove the Injector pump and injectors and take them into a shop? Anything I can check before pulling the pump off?

Well change the fuel filters and clean the tank FIRST!!!! LOL Go simple before spending a lot of money.

Also check the return lines to the tank if they are blocked it will not run correctly.

Second thing. Check an see what the cost of rebuilding the injection pump and checking the injectors will be. That could very well be more than the tractor is worth.

You can buy those Bucks for the $2000-2500 range. I have seen the injection pump repair quoted at over $1500 for one of them.

In situations like this the first thing I do is we have a small gallon fuel stand. Hook it direct to the injector pump. That will eliminate the floating trash theory. That is what is common to cause the problems you describe. I would not get in a hurry to remove injector pump.

Is that gravity fed or transfer pump? Seems I remember on those most had an electric pump and it has to work for them to run well.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back