Moving a wheel

Mike(NEOhio)

I need to get the pulley off my A. It's got 14.9s so not enough room to get the rim and tire between the center and the pulley. I got the ring off without any trouble but the hub will not budge. Am I on the right track here with a 6 ton jack? I put some heat to it and hammered on the end of the hub some. Didn't use a rosebud, my gas was low and used up what I had. I also tried a steel wedge in the slots, driven in from the end. Still doing some other work so I can't just drive it around. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_20240106_135605854.jpg
    IMG_20240106_135605854.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 23
I had a similar problem with my 1943 B. what I did once I got the hub clamp off (I had to get the hub clamp off with a steel plat bolted onto it with a twenty ton jack between them. even with that much force the 1" thick steel bar was considerable bent before it popped off. speaking from experience, i wouldn't recommend using a jack like that as when it popped loose it went flying almost 10 feet. I glad I wasn't in front of it. Be careful with the jack!) was wire brush the axle splines clean, put a generous about of grease on them. I then got two steel wedges into the slots and pounded them in as far as I could. After I did that I got a twelve pound sledge hammer and lightly tapped around the hub while my dad was spinning the wheel. After it had slide onto the cleaned and greased part of the axle, me and my dad just pushed it to the end of the axle and lifted of and sat it on the ground so we could roll it. Hope this helps!

High strength hardware, at least grade 8 or B7, should be used for making pullers. General hardware stores all thread is often only equal to grade 2. Using it can have bad results on multiple fronts. And always stay out of the "line of fire".

I had a similar problem with my 1943 B. what I did once I got the hub clamp off (I had to get the hub clamp off with a steel plat bolted onto it with a twenty ton jack between them. even with that much force the 1" thick steel bar was considerable bent before it popped off. speaking from experience, i wouldn't recommend using a jack like that as when it popped loose it went flying almost 10 feet. I glad I wasn't in front of it. Be careful with the jack!) was wire brush the axle splines clean, put a generous about of grease on them. I then got two steel wedges into the slots and pounded them in as far as I could. After I did that I got a twelve pound sledge hammer and lightly tapped around the hub while my dad was spinning the wheel. After it had slide onto the cleaned and greased part of the axle, me and my dad just pushed it to the end of the axle and lifted of and sat it on the ground so we could roll it. Hope this helps!
I already scraped and brushed the splines. Those are 1" eye bolts and the one without the shoulder actually pulled the nut through the slot. I'm working in a cramped corner of the shed. The nut came through as I was pulling on the jack handle. I went backwards over my portable compressor and landed on my back. I put washers on this time. Never thought to use the ring as a puller like 620 did. I'm trying that next after I get my tanks exchanged.

I had a similar problem with my 1943 B. what I did once I got the hub clamp off (I had to get the hub clamp off with a steel plat bolted onto it with a twenty ton jack between them. even with that much force the 1" thick steel bar was considerable bent before it popped off. speaking from experience, i wouldn't recommend using a jack like that as when it popped loose it went flying almost 10 feet. I glad I wasn't in front of it. Be careful with the jack!) was wire brush the axle splines clean, put a generous about of grease on them. I then got two steel wedges into the slots and pounded them in as far as I could. After I did that I got a twelve pound sledge hammer and lightly tapped around the hub while my dad was spinning the wheel. After it had slide onto the cleaned and greased part of the axle, me and my dad just pushed it to the end of the axle and lifted of and sat it on the ground so we could roll it. Hope this helps

I need to get the pulley off my A. It's got 14.9s so not enough room to get the rim and tire between the center and the pulley. I got the ring off without any trouble but the hub will not budge. Am I on the right track here with a 6 ton jack? I put some heat to it and hammered on the end of the hub some. Didn't use a rosebud, my gas was low and used up what I had. I also tried a steel wedge in the slots, driven in from the end. Still doing some other work so I can't just drive it around. Any suggestions?
Had a very similar issue on my R. Wheel would not move. In the end we removed tire to get access, you may find this easier.

Russ

Remove the rim and tire from the cast center. It will be on the inside but you can move it around enough to get the pulley off. If you turn it sideways you can actually remove it over the cast if you have to. A lot easier than moving on the axle.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back