My first time driving a Steiger tractor

Kow Farmer

I got to drive my first Steiger tractor ever today. I was helping a good friend/coworker with spring tillage. It is a Steiger Cougar CR-1225. I think it is an early 1980's model. I was pulling a 30 ft. DMI field cultivator behind it. Working soil in Southern Minnesota. Nice 55 degree day. And only a 5mph breeze. This tractor was a pleasure to drive. Nice quiet cab for its age. The only thing I have a hard time with is the articulated 4wd tractors. They are different for me to drive and get used to. My first 4wd tractor was a Case 2470. I am a Case man at heart, so I really like the Case 70 and 90 series 4wd tractors the best.
Kow Farmer Kurt
a189790.jpg

My brother had mentioned something once about some construction equipment. Some payloaders have the cab on the front half, like a 4 wheel drive tractor, and some have the cab on the back half. Im betting that would take a little getting used to.

(quoted from post at 19:14:05 04/23/15) My brother had mentioned something once about some construction equipment. Some payloaders have the cab on the front half, like a 4 wheel drive tractor, and some have the cab on the back half. Im betting that would take a little getting used to.

I can get into pretty much any modern wheel loader and get a truck loaded pretty quick. I get in my friend's 50 year old Hough though, and I'll have problems for awhile. I never pay that much attention but I believe that with the modern ones the seat is with the bucket while the old ones it must be with the rear wheels.

I went over to watch my Son drive a Panther Steiger. It was dualed up and weighted. I watched him hook up different field attachments,it was so slick and easy,all he had to do was back it up to the implement (close) then turn the steering wheel to swing the back end to line up the hitch pin and hook hyd lines and go. A lot more simple than a straight tractor where alignment with huge implements have to be almost spot on. The farmer said the Steigers were the easiest mechanical tractor to work on, the sun gears in the axles were turned at 10k hrs and were simple to get changed,unlike the new Case quads they now use. I learned a lot at 70 (then) and it was fun to ride in the cab, quiet and comfortable, A/C, CD radio, heat air ride seat,tilt, just about like todays vehicles for creature comfort,only more powerful and thirsty.
LOU

It takes some getting used to. I have an 8430 that I cultivate and disk with. Everything else is straight tractor work. The first day or two in the spring I can't over think things when I start to drive. Several fields have 10-15 oil wells in them and dodging the pump jacks requires you to do the opposite of what you think. You steer toward them unless you have to swerve far around it. If you only need to move the disk a foot you steer into the pump jack not away from it. That rear end really kicks around. It is nice at the end of the rows, though.

The worst was that I used liquid with the field cultivator with a three point 300 gallon tank. Hooking up a three point anything on an articulated tractor always made me crazy.

Turn the steering wheel slowly and deliberately so it won't be so jerky. The main difference between a regular tractor and a articulated.

I seen you posted this pic on the Case forum recently. Nice line up of Case. I wish I could take you up on your offer sir. Thank you for offering.
Kow Farmer Kurt

I put my planter on the cougar 1000 yesterday. Backed in and lifted it up first try.

If you look at the draw bar, you'll find a pin in it just ahead of the hammerstrap. Pull it, slide the draw bar back to the implement, put that pin in, set the other pin in the top hole. Back up til it falls through. That's right in the book.

The one-year-only 1000 series power shift in 86 was the last year they painted them green. It was a much more solidly built tractor than the equivalent 9100 series tractor.

Biggest issue I had getting used to the 2470 Case was no individual foot brakes. Kept lifting my foot, going for a brake on turns, but they just turn! Other thing was extremely hard levers on hyd valves. Most commonly used one I just welded an extension to it for better leverage.

The K(Cummins powered)R1225 / C(CAT powered)R1225 has to be an 85 model as the 1225 was only built that 1 year. I have owned a KR1225 since new. Good little tractor.

Notjustair, my first 4wd driving experience was a loose jointed 8630. I was told to grab the 8630 with the wagon and go catch that combine unloading on the go. Was I nervous! I was turning left when I should have turned right, weaving my may out to the field. The combine was going 6 MPH with an 8 row corn head and I was real afraid of turning wrong and running a dual over the end of the corn head. I survived it with no damage done but I relate it to 'trial by fire'. LOL

The worst articulated 4WD tractors to drive are the JD models where the cab is behind the articulation point. JD engineers must have been operating on full stupid when they designed that. If the JD engine pulled down 100 rpm, it would take nearly a half mile for it to recover those rpm's. Drove my cousin's Case 4WD a couple days later, when the engine pulled down a couple hundred rpm's; it would recover the rpm's within 100 feet.

All the newer ones, the seat is with the engine. Our old International had the seat with the bucket(pain). Some of the old Houghs' were
non-articulated rear steer(real pain).

I Spent lots hours in steiger couger model 855 cummings engine. actually would really like to try and find it and bring it back home. i found the 1850 oilver my dad bought new and got it back. loved that girl. nothing it wouldn't pull although three point rippers were not kind to it any three point stuff is hard on the articulated tractors.

What are you talking about--The only 4-wd that I remember that you sat behind the hinge was a 2 +2. I've owned 3 steigers but went back to Deere. Had a Cat in one-st-250 and a Cummins in the other Cougar 1000---I and my wife- who drives it the most like DEERES.
a189823.jpg

I think you are remembering wrong. You don't sit behind the hinge on any JD 4x4. Over the years we've had Massey, Versatile, Steiger, JD, and even Big Bud. Between those the JD rode the best. JD used too small engine in their older 30/40/50 series. Also if it takes 100ft to recover just 100 rpms, I'd say you are over working the tractor.

I used to help out a friend of mine that had four steigers, I can't remember what models they were but three had cats and the other had a cummins. I liked to kick open the right hand door when I'd be working along a shelter belt and listen to them bark, the exhaust echoing off the trees sounded pretty sweet!

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back