NAA Radiator Replacement

petertay

Our NAA has a power steering pump and tank. That makes it difficult to install a new thermostat. The easiest way to get at it was to remove the radiator. Holding the radiator in hand, it seems very heavy, and we have had problems with overheating while mowing.

We have a radiator shop nearby, so taking it to them to see what needs to be done is an option. Or just replace it? The replacement radiator on this site is very expensive. The one on eBay is half as much, and it includes all the associated parts, hoses, etc.
Your thoughts appreciated. Peter

All radiators are not equal. If you are going to parade your tractor a cheap one would likely be sufficient. If you are working the machine you want one with OEM cooling capacity.

Take it to the radiator shop and see what they say. I've had a couple recored, and while more money than a cheap replacement, the return to full cooling capacity allows the machine to work.

I've spent a lot of time on a Jubilee (1953 NAA) and worked it hard. The factory cooling capacity is barely adequate. Don't settle for anything less.

Our NAA has a power steering pump and tank. That makes it difficult to install a new thermostat. The easiest way to get at it was to remove the radiator. Holding the radiator in hand, it seems very heavy, and we have had problems with overheating while mowing.

We have a radiator shop nearby, so taking it to them to see what needs to be done is an option. Or just replace it? The replacement radiator on this site is very expensive. The one on eBay is half as much, and it includes all the associated parts, hoses, etc.
Your thoughts appreciated. Peter
You're replacing the thermostat because it was overheating? So maybe there is nothing wrong with the radiator.

Normally a thermostat would fail open, making the engine run cool and slow to warm up. It could fail closed, I guess ... easy way to verify would be to feel the hose.
I had my old MF Industrial radiator re-cored by a local shop - the replacement part was over $700. The recore was about half that - but it came back with the header tanks painted, pressure tested, basically looking like new. If you have a shop like that nearby, use them.

I'm a little late here but have a story. I have purchased a radiator for a 901 from this site and ordered the "restoration" quality which was costlier. It fit perfectly and was a heavy solid radiator so i was pleased with that purchase. I also just had a 1620 radiator recored by a local shop and they also did a good job but it cost almost exactly the same money compared to buying a new one.

Normally a thermostat would fail open, making the engine run cool and slow to warm up. It could fail closed, I guess ... easy way to verify would be to feel the hose.
They can fail closed. I had a '74 Plymouth Duster slant six fail closed after driving halfway home from work. It overheated twice. I pulled the thermostat, and all was well.

We dropped it off at the radiator shop. So in a few days we’ll have a like new, original radiator.
Petertay: When you get the radiator back I would be interested to hear how much it cost and quality of work done. The couple I have "fixed" I replaced with new but I have an OEM radiator on the shelf and I am thinking maybe someday I would have it repaired.

They can fail closed. I had a '74 Plymouth Duster slant six fail closed after driving halfway home from work. It overheated twice. I pulled the thermostat, and all was well.
Yep, what my NAA did, was overheat once that season. Then the next year it would never come up to normal temperature.
All is good now with a new thermostat.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back