Need a little Help!

mk6969hthr

New User
I have an International Harvester 2444. There are 2 drain plugs under the tractor. One is about even with the gear shift. And the 2nd is a little further to the rear. I know the 2nd one is for the hydro's. I removed both drain plugs. And the front didn't have hardly anything in it. Less than half of a pop can! I believe it is the drain for the transmission. So, my question is this. Is it for the transmission? And if it is. What type of fluid should it be? And how much does it hold? I've been told to use sae30, gear oil,, and Hytran fluid. I was even told to use nothing! The repair manual I have doesn't say what to use. If it does, I couldn't find it. If you know for certain what the correct fluid is, please let me know! Thanks.......

Hello mk, welcome to YT! The proper fluid is CaseIH Hy-Tran hydraulic oil. But you can go to your local farm store and look at their fluid and if it says it meets the specs of Hy-Tran that will work. I think that tractor may be a hold out machine from that era that utilized a separate reservoir for hydraulic fluid if so it will use that same fluid. The rear main section should have a level plug on it somewhere usually around or under where your left foot rests. Just a guess it will take 8-12 or maybe more gallons to fill that to the check plug level. Once you get that filled check your other plug where the half pop can came out if nothing has ran forward to fill that you will have to look for the fill for that cavity. Did what drained out look thick and nasty? If so that plug may be in a location that is not supposed to have oil in it and what you drained out leaked past seals etc. and accumulated there. It would be best for you to get an operators manual here is a link to what YT offers. IH 2444 manuals from YT
Here is also a link to the manufacturers online parts catalog. I am mainly posting it for you to be able to see what’s inside.
CNHI IH 2444 parts catalog

Hello mk, welcome to YT! The proper fluid is CaseIH Hy-Tran hydraulic oil. But you can go to your local farm store and look at their fluid and if it says it meets the specs of Hy-Tran that will work. I think that tractor may be a hold out machine from that era that utilized a separate reservoir for hydraulic fluid if so it will use that same fluid. The rear main section should have a level plug on it somewhere usually around or under where your left foot rests. Just a guess it will take 8-12 or maybe more gallons to fill that to the check plug level. Once you get that filled check your other plug where the half pop can came out if nothing has ran forward to fill that you will have to look for the fill for that cavity. Did what drained out look thick and nasty? If so that plug may be in a location that is not supposed to have oil in it and what you drained out leaked past seals etc. and accumulated there. It would be best for you to get an operators manual here is a link to what YT offers. IH 2444 manuals from YT
Here is also a link to the manufacturers online parts catalog. I am mainly posting it for you to be able to see what’s inside.
CNHI IH 2444 parts catalog
Thanks for the response Red. I believe I have the correct info now. After reading many different articles. That didn't give me clear answers. I called the 800 number for YT. And though I don't recall the gentleman's name. He was very helpful. He listened to my questions. Then answered with clarity. He even took the time to get correct answers for stuff he didn't know the answer. I wasn't sure of the purpose for some of the plugs. I think I counted 8 different drain/fill plugs. And now, thanks to YT. And the man's patience. I know what the purpose of every plug.
I have now bookmarked YT on my phone and laptop. That will be my go to from now on. Because as nice as it is look for answers on the Goo-goo! (Google) Lol.! It'll give answers that aren't always the correct answer. I'm sure you've heard enough of my rambling. Again, I appreciate your response. I thank you Red!

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back