Need help identifying 70D engine dipsticks, pony vs main engine

Pirlbeck

I have a customers 70D in the shop and I am trying to figure out if the engine dipsticks are in the correct location, as they each can be installed in either engine. The dipsticks are both within a 1/4" of an inch in overall length, but one just has a line with a "full" written above it and the other one has 2 lines with a "low" written below one line and a "full" written above the other. Besides getting them in the correct location, are the oil levels checked without screwing them in, like most JD dipsticks from this era?

Thanks!

The cranking engine (pony) dipstick is on top in the photo diesel engine underneath. Screw cap in, argue as you may but the OP manual says screw the cap down tight to check.

IMG_3782.JPG

IMG_3784.JPG

Dan, I think JD changed their mind at some point about where to check the dipsitcks. Of course following the manual won't hurt

This was printed in July 59

The cranking engine (pony) dipstick is on top in the photo diesel engine underneath. Screw cap in, argue as you may but the OP manual says...

Attachments

• JDOilLevel.jpg
    JDOilLevel.jpg
    262.1 KB · Views: 49
Dan, I think JD changed their mind at some point about where to check the dipsitcks. Of course following the manual won't hurt

Thanks Brandon for that info, I have that full set of service bulletins and have never noticed that. Now how many tractors do I have that are actually being run low on oil, four pony motors will be the first to be checked. Will be interesting to see just how much difference checking the oil level the correct way actually makes. Thanks again.

Thanks Brandon for that info, I have that full set of service bulletins and have never noticed that. Now how many tractors do I have that are actually being run low on oil, four pony motors will be the first to be checked. Will be interesting to see just how much difference checking the oil level the correct way actually makes. Thanks again

Dan, you might like the little change to the pony dipsticks too. Found this when I was looking up the other thing

Attachments

• JDPonyDipsticks.jpg
    JDPonyDipsticks.jpg
    257 KB · Views: 38

Thanks for that too, can not believe I had not seen that in the service bulletins. Some day I am going to have to just spend some time reading and not just looking for specific info, but there is a lot to digest there for sure. Ended up adding 3-4 oz. to each pony motor. I did notice the shorter dipstick as I have three short one and two long ones. All the short ones are on pony motors that have serial no.

IMG_3791.JPG
IMG_3797.JPG

Short one is about 2 1/2 inch and the long one is about 3 1/2 inch.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back