Need Some Assistance!

mk6969hthr

New User
I have a International Harvester 2444 with a gas motor. Serial Number- 04769 I need to figure out if the transmission is a wet or dry clutch. I drained all the fluid from the tractor. And only about a pint of oil came out of the transmission drain plug. Under the trans there is a rectangular flat plate that i can see is bent. I'm certain it leaked if it had oil in it. From what I have read, it could have been built with a few different options. Single-dry clutch, double-wet clutch. 5 speed with Hi/Lo. Or 8 speed forward & 8 speed reverse. Also a clutch controlled PTO, or constant drive PTO.
If you know the answer, please let me know.

I have a International Harvester 2444 with a gas motor. Serial Number- 04769 I need to figure out if the transmission is a wet or dry clutch. I drained all the fluid from the tractor. And only about a pint of oil came out of the transmission drain plug. Under the trans there is a rectangular flat plate that i can see is bent. I'm certain it leaked if it had oil in it. From what I have read, it could have been built with a few different options. Single-dry clutch, double-wet clutch. 5 speed with Hi/Lo. Or 8 speed forward & 8 speed reverse. Also a clutch controlled PTO, or constant drive PTO.
Some transmissions have two drain plugs, if you drain the lower one first you don't get much fluid out of the upper one.

Some transmissions have two drain plugs, if you drain the lower one first you don't get much fluid out of the upper one.
I dont know about a upper and lower drain plug. I know there is a side plug and a lower drain plug. And the upper/side plug is the full level.

Yep - there are 2 plugs on my 2424. Agree with Tomtinker. The 2nd one will get out anything in the lower portion of the tranny that the first one will not drain because its in the slightly higher part of the casting.

Tim

Probably the best way is to post some photos of what you got going. IH serial numbers don’t give many details like the Ford one do, about all they tell you is what year it was built. Sometimes there is a letter that follows the serial number and if you have the right reference it can tell you a particular option or two the tractor was built with. Show us the drain plugs. Show us underneath where you say the plate is bent. Show us photos of the operating levers like the gear shifts. Photo post through the “Attach files” button. If I had to guess this machine is new to you?

First things first, fire your source of information, LOL...

That model tractor never had a wet clutch. It could either have a single-stage dry clutch, or a 2-stage dry clutch if it has independent PTO. You should be able to feel the two stages by pushing the clutch pedal. Halfway down disengages the drive to the wheels. All the way down also stops the PTO. That's IF it has independent PTO.

Transmission is a 4-speed main with hi-lo, and either a reverser or a discrete reverse gear. A reverser (known as shuttle shift now) has a third shifting lever, and the main transmission shifter will only have 4 positions. A standard transmission will have only two shifting levers, and the main shifter will have a 5th position for reverse.

I hope this will help everyone to understand what I'm asking a little better.
20240507_092429.jpg

First things first, fire your source of information, LOL...

That model tractor never had a wet clutch. It could either have a single-stage dry clutch, or a 2-stage dry clutch if it has independent PTO. You should be able to feel the two stages by pushing the clutch pedal. Halfway down disengages the drive to the wheels. All the way down also stops the PTO. That's IF it has independent PTO.

Transmission is a 4-speed main with hi-lo, and either a reverser or a discrete reverse gear. A reverser (known as shuttle shift now) has a third shifting lever, and the main transmission shifter will only have 4 positions. A standard transmission will have only two shifting levers, and the main shifter will have a 5th position for reverse.
The info was from I&T international harvester shop manual. I've had the tractor sitting for about 10 years. So I wanted to change all the fluids. But when only a little oil came out of the front section. Clutch housing I guess! I wanted to be sure what it should be. I don't want to damage anything by doing the wrong thing. And of course! Depending where you look online. Or who you are talking with about it. I've gotten different answers. So, I'm hoping the picture I posted will help get a clear answer. Thanks!

I hope this will help everyone to understand what I'm asking a little better. View attachment 70079
The second transmission drain plug everyone was trying to tell you about is right there, about a foot to the right of the one where you only got a pint of oil.

The large section you circled is actually two sections. Adjacent to the engine is the clutch housing. Behind that is the "PTO housing" apparently.

That flat plate is the clutch housing inspection cover. Other than maybe some leaky seals it will be dry in there. It's clearly not sealed up at all.

BTW you can look at a complete parts book for the tractor at the CaseNewHolland website, mycnhstore.com

Last edited:
The second transmission drain plug everyone was trying to tell you about is right there, about a foot to the right of the one where you only got a pint of oil.

The large section you circled is actually two sections. Adjacent to the engine is the clutch housing. Behind that is the "PTO housing" apparently.

That flat plate is the clutch housing inspection cover. Other than maybe some leaky seals it will be dry in there. It's clearly not sealed up at all.

BTW you can look at a complete parts book for the tractor at the CaseNewHolland website, mycnhstore.com

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back