Need some IH fellas estimation on tractor value??

JD Seller

I have a IH 1466 that my Great Uncle bought new. There is a story about his ownership. He had a IH 1256 that was his "big" tractor. He hated that it was 1000 PTO only. He also always bought open station tractors as he had several barns that a cab tractor would not fit into. So when IH announced that the 86 series were coming out he ordered a IH 1466. He was told the 86 series would not come in a flat top fender model,that the open station would still have a roof. So he ordered a IH 1466. He ordered it with long axles, axle duals and 20.8x38 radial tires. It also has 540/1000PTO.

Due to high demand it took several months for his tractor to be delivered. During this time he had a serious stroke at the age of 50. He lost the majority of the use of his left leg. He never could drive a vehicle/tractor with a clutch after that. So he never drove the IH 1466 to my knowledge. He found a IH Hydro 100 with very low hours. He was able to do the planting and other farm work with it. So the IH 1466 just did the heavy field work. Even that was not that heavy of work. He had a 13 foot chisel plow,20 ft. IH 475 disk. 15 ft. Noble mix and till. My Great Aunt did all of the heavy work with the IH 1466. He bought an JD 7720 combine and he could climb the inclined steps and run the hydro, so he could harvest.

My Great Uncle continued to farm until 1989. His mobility issues forced him to retire. He did not want to have an auction so I bought all of his equipment with the majority being only to sell. The one major piece I kept is his IH 1466.

Now the details on this tractor. It only has 3350 hours on it. The tractor has never set out in the sun or rain. HE made rubber floor mats for the deck plate so the paint is like new on the floor boards. I did replace the tires ten years ago just because the originals were weather cracked terribly. It has Firestone radials with matched duals on it. This tractor's paint is like new. He kept it waxed and I have as well. I have used it very limited. I have my Grand Father's IH 1466 and we worked the heck out of it. LOL So this one has been babied.

I have my annual insurance review going on right now. The insurance company wants a current list of what I think the value of my equipment is. I figured this IH 1466 at $14-15K. My sons and brother think I am low. They think more like $20K plus.

Are they correct??? I am not planning on ever selling it but I do want it insured for it's full value.

I think that you are low as well. From what you describe the tractor should be a Black Stripe and a serial number will confirm whether what you have is that. Most collectors want a 66 series tractor with fenders so you are good there plus you have the dual speed PTO. Then the Firestone radials. I am not sure what today's market would be if it went to auction as money is tighter for a lot of farmers versus five years ago and the guys connected to that vintage tractor are getting older. To the point I think a jockey would list it for 25,000 dollars and would take 22,000 dollars if they wanted a quick turn on it.

I never saw one in person so I google imaged pictures,that's one beautiful tractor as you describe it. It sounds like it has way more sentimental value to you than money can ever replace but if it was well covered if it was destroyed in a fire $25000 could likely fix it back up depending how bad it was?

Machinery Pete often has tractors like that in his archives...wonder what he would think? I"m thinking that you are low.

You're going to tell us all that and not show us pictures????

That tractor will bring 25-30k and it is virtually not replaceable after a fire or theft. You've got yourself a gem....take care of it!! :D

JD, being a Green fan myself, most of them around here in a fender tractor usually bring $10-15k. With new paint, tires and a cab they may go for about $20k. They are a good machine, but most of the folks around here opted for the 966-1266's. And most were into the shift to Deeres at the time. We had two IH dealers within ten miles in those days. Now, we have to go to New Holland, Delaware or out to Frederick for IH parts. The closest is 53 miles. Looks like your call....

JD- is your policy for replacement value or market value? Despite what value you put on it, make sure you know how much "depreciation" they will assign to it if you have a claim.... lessons learned the hard way :).

These tractors are insured for "stated value" not replacement as you could not replace this one. You could do major repairs on it.

The "work" tractors are insured for replacement value.

Probably 20,000+. An online auction here in MI a couple weeks ago had a 1066 Hydro with pretty close to the same hours and open station set up. It was a REAL nice original. It went for just under 18,000 on the online auction. A 1466 like the one you describe, in my mind, is a much more desirable tractor than a Hydro 1066. Maybe a little more than a gear drive 1066, but way more than a Hydro for sure.

It's an open station 1466, check tractorhouse. I'd say max at 15K. Reasoning? Too old/small for a lot of guys today and too big for the other guys. And it ain't an H so much harder to move around. So it ain't going to be big with the collectors who like to attend show/drives/parades. Most folks are not going to care about the history of the tractor.

Maybe you should keep it? After all it's an IH. While nothing "runs like a deere" nothing "smells like a john" :lol:

Rick

I have to disagree. This is not a re-paint but the original paint with 3350 original hours plus it is a Black Stripe. Firestone radial duals. Nobody that is serious about this tractor is going to care whether they can tow it on a small trailer to a show. The likely group of buyers will most likely have similar tractors in their stables and has a healthy bank account. Nobody is buying it to hook to a manure spreader. Now a similar tractor with noticeable flaws such as 3350 hours but stone pecks in the paint, the rubbers on the shifter cracked or weathered, front tires no longer square on the ribs, good but no radial rear tires then the price falls dramatically to where maybe at auction 16-17K with maybe a jockey bringing back to try to get 20-21K out of it especially if he does not have to borrow money on it. As JD's tractor is a jockey will try to land it for 18-19K and sell for 25K. Whether the jockey gets beat out by a collector at an auction is a different matter.

The cabs on those tractors were junk the open station is worth more than with a cab. No noise from the cab and not an echo chamber. Now the radials add value as well as the practically new hours. I think tractorhouse is a bit high on most things with about 10% being able to be knocked off the price when buying.
I would guess it might go for about the 15,000 range though I would not pay that for any of those tractors being they atre 30 years old and god knows what has been done to most of them.
Dad bought a 1466 with cab dual PTO and dual SCV's for less than 4500 about 10-15 years ago. About 5 years ago we went through the back half and did a whole bearing and seal replacement with a TA delete shaft in it will out last me now. I think we put a radiator in it at that time also. I would sell it to the first big money that came along and then go buy 2 more with the money.

I agree with oldtanker on the price. Its too big and clumsy to be a loader tractor and to small for most farms that use big equipment. I was surprised when my brother told me a 1486 isn't even big enough to run his baler.

Guys who "collect" IH don't seem to be interested in anything newer or bigger than a 1206. That being said it sounds very nice and I would insure it for $20,000 if the insurance company accepts it as value.

20K is not far off, but maybe a bit low I would put it at 23K. Imagine just what an aspiring farmer could do with it. Though BTOs are running Quad Trac systems, It is still in prime shape and (as you pointed out) can be worked hard profitably. Jim

Had to laugh,just finished reading your post.Was thinking to myself I wish I had a 1466.Well a few minutes later a friend stops by,says I have a couple things you might want.Gives me two toy tractors a 1466 and a massey 275!Sometimes wishes do come true.
Paul
a169251.jpg

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back