Need to choke 8N when warm?

JF8N

New User
I have replaced coil, condenser, drained tank, cleaned sediment bowl and screen, refilled with rec gas, cleaned carb, cleaned plugs, cleaned points and regapped. It is still a 6V system.
Im at a loss?

with the valve open at the sediment bowl and the plug removed from the bottom of the carb, you should be able to fill a pint jar with gas in 2 minutes or less. can you?

I have replaced coil, condenser, drained tank, cleaned sediment bowl and screen, refilled with rec gas, cleaned carb, cleaned plugs, cleaned points and regapped. It is still a 6V system.
Im at a loss?
My 8N has been that way for many years.
I use it all the time and don't let having to choke it a bit bother me.
It gets worked hard a lot.

I've been told I'm lazy for doing it, so take with whatever grain of salt you like. I had my first 8n for 15+ years. In the summer it ran fine. When it got below 40 or so, it would stutter/sputter on acceleration. I found about 1/3 choke would correct this and it would run fine with plenty of power. I cut a piece of 3/16 rubber fuel line the length needed to hold the choke 1/3 open and slit the side so it would pop over the choke shaft. Ran it this way for the entire time I had the tractor and could change from summer to winter in about 2 seconds. I'm sure my problem was the carburetor, but never found the need to get into it. I was putting between 100/150 hrs. a year on it and only tuned it up once or twice. I sold it to get my first compact and don't regret it, but sure do wish I had enough money at the time to keep both. This is my second 8n. Just found my first complaint with the new format. Pictures that always loaded before are now to large.

Im at a loss?
Normal for most tractors to choke a bit when hot to start.

You are not lost. Every piece of machinery I own has its own unique way that it likes to start. Your 8n likes a little choke when warm. If it runs fine after starting get on it and have some fun

Im at a loss?
You were not real clear about how much and when you need to choke it. Others have assumed you meant when restarting with the engine warm, is this correct?

When you say cleaned the carb did you soak it in carb cleaner and then blow out all the passageways and spray them out and poke them out with a piece of wire and then spray them out again?? One need to always poke the passageways out and spray them out 2 or 3 times. I use a torch tip cleaner tool to poke them out with

You were not real clear about how much and when you need to choke it. Others have assumed you meant when restarting with the engine warm, is this correct?
Yes right after i shut it off, I need to use the choke. When I had a weak battery I did a compression test and one cylender was 90, the other 3- were around 110.

When you say cleaned the carb did you soak it in carb cleaner and then blow out all the passageways and spray them out and poke them out with a piece of wire and then spray them out again?? One need to always poke the passageways out and spray them out 2 or 3 times. I use a torch tip cleaner tool to poke them out with
I didnt soak or poke, however i cleaned it 3- times and the spray came out the ports without issue.

I've been told I'm lazy for doing it, so take with whatever grain of salt you like. I had my first 8n for 15+ years. In the summer it ran fine. When it got below 40 or so, it would stutter/sputter on acceleration. I found about 1/3 choke would correct this and it would run fine with plenty of power. I cut a piece of 3/16 rubber fuel line the length needed to hold the choke 1/3 open and slit the side so it would pop over the choke shaft. Ran it this way for the entire time I had the tractor and could change from summer to winter in about 2 seconds. I'm sure my problem was the carburetor, but never found the need to get into it. I was putting between 100/150 hrs. a year on it and only tuned it up once or twice. I sold it to get my first compact and don't regret it, but sure do wish I had enough money at the time to keep both. This is my second 8n. Just found my first complaint with the new format. Pictures that always loaded before are now to large.
thanks

I didnt soak or poke, however i cleaned it 3- times and the spray came out the ports without issue.
Cleaning it 3 time but if you don't poke out the passageways you will leave rust and dirt behind that it stuck to the sides of the passageways. Spray just sprays it doesn't break stuck on things loose

Yes right after i shut it off, I need to use the choke. When I had a weak battery I did a compression test and one cylender was 90, the other 3- were around 110.
If that is the only issue and it runs good otherwise, choke it and go.

Im at a loss?
After all these items maintained, I have also installed a new starter & battery. It rolls over slow and just barely starts?

After all these items maintained, I have also installed a new starter & battery. It rolls over slow and just barely starts?
Did you happen to clean all the electrical connections? It really helped my old girl. But like Brown David said it still doesn't turn over very quickly. Once it's dialed in it doesn't need to.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back