Needing a little hydraulic schooling

I am installing a 70-front loader on my case 995. I have read on other threads here about the "normal" loader for the 995's being slow due to hyd press and max flow rates. This loader came with 1/2" hoses to 5/8" connectors. My question is: would I be better off switching all the hoses, both press and return to 3/8", (I have the 70 parts manual and it lists 3/8" hoses, not 1/2") or would it be beneficial to leave the return lines at 1/2"? The other part of that question would be is, would it help to also leave the press line from the tractor to the loader control valve at 1/2"?

Thx in advance!

I am installing a 70-front loader on my case 995. I have read on other threads here about the "normal" loader for the 995's being slow due to hyd press and max flow rates. This loader came with 1/2" hoses to 5/8" connectors. My question is: would I be better off switching all the hoses, both press and return to 3/8", (I have the 70 parts manual and it lists 3/8" hoses, not 1/2") or would it be beneficial to leave the return lines at 1/2"? The other part of that question would be is, would it help to also leave the press line from the tractor to the loader control valve at 1/2"?

Thx in advance!
You are not going to gain any function speed by making ANY of the hydraulic system lines smaller.

Thx in advance!
What problem are you having???

What problem are you having???
No problem, yet. Still installing and since the hoses were in bad shape, I figured I would replace them and then got to thinking about venturi's and press vs velocity etc. Since this loader was built for higher pressures and flow rates was trying to figure a way to speed it up if possible.

Thx in advance!
I could be wrong, but I don't think the Model "70" loader was not designed for the "David Brown's" because of their low volume. They were designed for the "Racine" tractors w/ 15 & 16GPM pumps which were at that time, high volume and lower pressure. You will be all day waiting for the cylinders to raise.

I put a pto pump on my Case 830 with a du all loader and it works very well. The pto pump is simple and works well. If you want to know how to extend the shaft out of the back to run implements I figured that out too. If you decide to go this route give a shout and I will explain and send you pics. Nick

I put a pto pump on my Case 830 with a du all loader and it works very well. The pto pump is simple and works well. If you want to know how to extend the shaft out of the back to run implements I figured that out too. If you decide to go this route give a shout and I will explain and send you pics. Nick
I definitely would be interested in checking this out. Thx!

I could be wrong, but I don't think the Model "70" loader was not designed for the "David Brown's" because of their low volume. They were designed for the "Racine" tractors w/ 15 & 16GPM pumps which were at that time, high volume and lower pressure. You will be all day waiting for the cylinders to raise.
Sorta figured that as well but did read a post "somewhere about someone" who had done the same. He said it was a little slow but worked fine.

I do not know the answer to the question, but here is a resource for you. Go to the following link and type the words "loader plumbing" into the search box. You will get enough reading to keep you busy. Here is the link:

David Brown Forum Archive
I'm on page 4 of 6 of the "loader Plumbing" and still not quite comprehending. Pictures would be so helpful. Didn't read anything directly relating to me. I'll keep reading. Thx

Last edited:

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back