No start after fuel filter change IH 656 Roosa Master

New to us tractor. Changed fuel filters, bled filters, no start. Was starting and running fine before filter change. Glow plugs work.
Not sure where bleed screw is on pump, and can't find it on Messicks, Case IH, or elsewhere.

Not sure if it was sitting 40 minutes or bumping it up to 3/4 throttle but she started!
There was no filter in the secondary canister by the way. Two now of course. Guess there's not much to do about that now.

I would suggest you acquire an operator’s manual for your tractor, it will tell you how to bleed the system. IH 656 Ops manual from YT
The trick with that IH tractor as well as some others is the engine is placed in its own parts book. Saved IH paper, micro fish film etc. On CNHI you need to enter D-282 with the hyphen. The bleeder is circled in the photo. It can be that low because only the area around the pumping plungers in the hydraulic head which is essentially the part the lines connect to needs to be free of air for it to work properly. The air above that will be pushed out of the return and back to the tank while it is running.
IMG_3997.jpeg

Fritz, I am sure you’re correct. Are the return lines/fittings open on those pumps? I think they all have a check valve, is this correct? Or is loosening the line a way to bleed these pumps. I am mostly familiar with the Roosamaster pumps on the GM automotive applications.

That pump is self bleeding, does not have bleed screws anywhere on the pump. Best way to bleed it is to remove ALL the glow plugs, that makes engine crank faster on the starter. Loosen ALL six injector line nuts and TAP each line to make sure the Ermeto line end comes loose on injector inlet. Make sure there's air free fuel at pump INLET, then crank engine until fuel is at all six injector lines. Tighten the nuts and crank more until you see air/fuel mist blow out ALL glow plug holes, install the plugs, heat and start engine.
I would suggest you acquire an operator’s manual for your tractor, it will tell you how to bleed the system. IH 656 Ops manual from YT
The trick with that IH tractor as well as some others is the engine is placed in its own parts book. Saved IH paper, micro fish film etc. On CNHI you need to enter D-282 with the hyphen. The bleeder is circled in the photo. It can be that low because only the area around the pumping plungers in the hydraulic head which is essentially the part the lines connect to needs to be free of air for it to work properly. The air above that will be pushed out of the return and back to the tank while it is running. View attachment 67116
That's NOT a bleed screw, just a plug.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back