Old Firestone front tires

rrlund

Back prior to the early 60s, Firestone three rib front tractor tires had a notched pattern on the outide of the
outer ribs. Was there a name for that pattern? I went to Miller Tire's site and they had them, but they didn't give
them a name other than original Firestone three rib front tire.

The only reason I ask, we had a discussion at the tractor club meeting last night about what constituted
''original'' and ''restored'' for purposes of judging at the show. The president wanted some of us to get together
after the next meeting and draw up a list of positives and negatives to break any ties or help out any judges when
they might not be deeply devoted tractor nuts, so tractors aren't just being judged on a paint job. To me, having
those style tires on the front of a tractor would be on the positive side of the list. Not the only factor
certainly, but a plus.

I would have to think that if your gonna get that technical, you would to have a guideline for each and every brand, model and year.
Are you going to be 100% sure that they didn't slip another brand in there occasionally for whatever reason? Will you have build card for each and every specific tractor? Should the paint be the original brand and have the original makeup? Not everyone is going to participate if it turns into a money game.

We're not trying to be that picky, we've decided this year only to judge the feature tractors, not every one on the grounds. Sometimes you'll have two nice tractors that come down to first and second place and the decision can be a hard one. We just wanted to have a list of things that'll be a tie breaker other than whether you can read a newspaper in the reflection of the paint. Last year was kind of a rip for one guy with a nice older restoration. He didn't complain or anything, but it just wasn't right to some of us club members. It was redone as original as you could ever ask for, but it sat right next to one that was the same make and model, but that one had some modifications for both pulling and tractor drives. The judges that we had really didn't have that much tractor experience. The modified one had about a $2000 paint job on it and beat out the ''original as you can get'' older restoration. Not a dig at the owner of either tractor at all. They brought them there to a show, not a contest, but some of us just thought there needs to be a few guidelines on some things that they need to look at besides paint.

That's entirely up to you guys. I, myself am not a fan of trophies or the like. All it does is validate one person, alienates the rest.
Around here the younger generation with dads or grandpa's tractor don't participate with the local clubs for this very reason. Maybe it's not all painted and pretty, but they were proud to have it. Then someone with too much money brings one in with little to no knowledge of it, no history of it but walks away with bragging rights and a useless trophy. I say let the visitors be the judge as their wondering aimlessly around the show grounds, talking to the owners about the history behind it, rather than praising one person for being more fortunate.

cvphoto152857.jpg

I found this on ebay. Lists a couple names. It was 1953 Firestone tractor tire ad.

In the 1980's to 2002, I could still get them from Firestone. Only in 5:50 and 6:00 x16's. I got out the tire business in 02 and I haven't looked for them since. They claimed they turned in the mud better than a straight 3 rib tire.

The whole club agrees with you, that's why we won't judge every tractor on the grounds anymore, but, and not by design, the club tends to lean heavily red, with Oliver probably being the next highest number. We want to at least give best restored and best original to the feature to encourage non members to bring theirs to help put on a good show of feature tractors when it's a brand not well represented by club members. This year we're featuring Ford. There are three or four members that come to mind that have Fords, but we won't have much of a feature show if we only have theirs.

Last year we featured Oliver. I advertised it in Oliver Heritage and Hart Parr Oliver Collector Magazine and we surprised the heck out of the guys who were in charge of the tractor display with the turnout. One of the Oliver guys from this forum who's not a member, brought one of his and one that he and his grandson restored together. The grandson's tractor took third place for best restored Oliver. We hope that made him feel good and that he'll remember us by coming to the show again.

That's why we are all in agreement that we need some sort of hints when the only judges we might be able to find could be a local pastor and the head of the DPW. Just something for them to go on so they're not just looking at paint. We're not looking for anything that will disqualify anybody from winning, we just want something we can all agree on to break ties when it's close so if somebody asks why one was chosen over another, the judges can say something besides ''this one's shinier''.

You know, now that you posted that, I seem to remember that Guide Grip name on the sidewall of some of those.

rrlund, very good points and I agree. A fine paint job is not the only thing that needs to be considered when a judging is being done. Thank you and your club.

And I do remember the Firestone Guide Grip front tractor tires. Dad had a pair in 7:50-20 size on front of a W-30 McCormick-Deering. They were (and are) the finest looking front tractor tires I've ever seen. BUT they are more costly that the more common styles.

X3. The only show I was to that judged was a JD Expo and there judging turned off a lot of exibitors, some that I personally knew never went back again to show and not as exibitor. You do not want that.

Should have added the show was in Iowa and he hauled the tractor from Ohio. They would not let him unload until he hunted up a paint store and bought a can of paint and brush because they did not like the way the unstyled tractors rear axles were either painted or unpainted. All working tractors you kept the axles unpainted to help with moving rear wheels for different jobs. Think that was only year a local club member that made a reproduction part foe the vertical engine tractors was there as a vender. I was up for expo 2 @ 3 and for 4 the were going to improve the ground with restrooms. Instead they moved show to someplace you could not find on a state map.

If you are going to feature Ford Then make it a co feature with Ferguson as you cannot seperate them, in 1939 to 1947 the tractors all had both the Ford and Ferguson names on them, and as well since Ferguson became Massey Ferguson The Ferguson had the Massey name on them as well. also include then in feature and in doing that you need to include Massey Harris as all are interconnected with the different years and names. And doing it only one part of the family you will not get many exibitos but put all together you will have a large enough group to be able to have a feature. Way too many shows they think because Ford is usually smaller they have to include a non related tractor make as putting Allis with the Ford is a Good (VERRY BAD) idea. I am out of help in put on shows now due to age and health but I helped put on shows for over 30 years so I do know a bit about how things work, or what dosen't. A large feature like IHC, JD will work by itself but smaller groups and here Oliver is one just does not pull in a croud.

In Sept we have a Village celebration with a parade. They have an antique tractor and car category. The judges are three women. They sit on a trailer and watch the entries drive by. I have figured out they always give first place to the oldest tractor. When I drive my 1941 Case SC I win 1st prize ($3.00) When I drive my 1957 Allis WD-45D I win third ($1.00) or nothing.

This year I'm driving my 1941. I could drive my rusty 1940 9n.

Not my decision to make, but the only ones that carried the Ferguson name too would be the 9N and 2N wouldn't they? Most just see those as a Fords. The Ferguson T 20 and 30 tractors would be included in the Massey Ferguson feature. The only feature here that has topped Oliver at our show has been IH, and then not by very much if they did. We even gained several new members with Olivers after last years show.

That's like the pie contest at our show. I've been the teller counting the votes every year. The judges always start out scoring low and they keep going up as the tasting goes on. I've figured out that the last pies entered will be the winners.

our 630 john deere came out with firestone dual ring tires. lasted over 20 years. bought another pair for the A john deere still decent but never see dual rings any more n id buy some if i could find some. my 411 case had 1 new carlile tri rib made in usa. i got my dealer to get me another carlile tire still usa made

I like the idea of original .
But where are they supposed to get the correct continuous bar for rear as example
But is it practical , I used the tractor on the farm Also in field and woods and road. A 65 year old tractor will a stretch to get original.

My opinion.

Most people will never know , 90 percent .
True ?
Ive had people come up to me at shows and say I never knew , or look that tractor has steel tires ! I laugh after they leave .

That a tuff call and consider a guy that has an original family purchase tractor , he might not be able to afford those tires. He cant be excluded from heritage tractor because he doesnt have original tires ,I say

Would the notched side ribs help (maybe only a little bit) to keep the tire turning and floating over mud instead of plowing in and pushing a ball of mud ahead of the tire?

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back