Oliver 1650 - right brake

sonnythomas

Replaced brakes last fall. Pretty much set until this spring. Right brake hanging up. It would clatter something terrible and lock wheel. Back up and it clatter and break loose.
Mercy. Just me. Had to rope off the hydraulic hoses (3). I'm good but my body is getting old. Had to get on knees and bend over a bunch. Oversize rear tires didn't help.
Left arm stretched out didn't help loosening and pulling those 3 long bolts. First disc looked okay. Work brake pedal and movement was there - pressure plate thingy. Pulled it and liked broke my arm. Looked at second disc and it looked okay. Gave the pressure plate thingy a good looking over. Couldn't see anything wrong. Used WD40 Penetrating oil on the pivot points Worked the actuator arms and the pressure plate opened easily. Stuck a wrench under the arms to keep the pressure plate open some. Thick screwdrivers on each side opened it a little more. Opened enough I could move the ball bearings. Used real small allen wrench dipped in grease to grease each ball bearing. I could roll the bearings when greasing. Worked the pressure plate some. I still couldn't find anything wrong.
Feared the worse, maybe a bad axle bearing or worse. Left the brake parts on the work bench and took the tractor out for a test hop. I took it all over, down the road, up steep hills and used each gear, all 12 plus reverses. No clattering, no hang ups, no noise at all.

Put it back together. Mercy. The rear tires needs taken off or the floorboard removed. Adjusted each brake for being equal - 2 1/2" of free travel. Took off and slammed the brakes on a few times. Checked brake pedals again and adjusted a little more for both.
Took tractor out in the field, turned and hammered the right brake. Turned a fantastic circle. Did the same fantastic circle with left brake.

Paid for it though. By the time I was done I was sore all over. Knees hurt, shoulders hurt and back hurt worse. Got cleaned and a bit to eat and my eyes slammed shut. :)

Pushed brush and bull dozed trees out back and not one problem with the brakes. Me had fun.

Still confused over why I had the clattering noise and right brake locking up.

Last edited:
I have a 1655 the same way, have cleaned it, oiled it, taken apart several times, see no reason for it to stick but will lock up while it is sitting, usually if I put it in reverse it will free up. mystery to me.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back