OT--pt cruiser door decal.

mite-help

well, I backed into wife's car-damaged driver door. [ouch] found one, same paint color. I wish to transfer the vin decal from original. possible? any tips? thanks.

That is a tough one. I know that license tabs can be removed by heating them up with a propane torch. You got nothing to lose.

Isn't the vin decal on the door jamb? Only things I saw with it on the door were very old vehicles from the 50s and 60s

Use a heat gun. No chance of damage to decal that way. Propane torch will burn the decal as it is plastic.

Chances are that vin sticker will come off with a heat gun but will only come up in stripes making it very apparent it has been transferred.

You may be able to send pics and details t "Maple Hunter Decals", in Texas, and they can possibly make you a new one. Take pics and measure before attempting to remove it.

Is the VIN number on there or just stuff like paint color, tire pressure, etc? Not sure why you feel it necessary if it's going to be a difficult task.

Decal contains date of manufacture-tire specs-press-size,-pass capacity-weight capacity, body code--Vin with bar code. and is IS on the door. Not the end of the world if I can't transfer, as there is vin view thru windshield. just seems like insurance co.etc, go for the door. I do a fair amount of obd11 scanner hookup, that's where I go.

Maybe you should take a picture of the damaged door, and the decal. Before and after attempted removal. Just in case you ever have to have the vin verified, and it has been messed with. You should have a vin in the dash also, which is the one that counts. If no heat gun a hair drier should be just as good. Stan

(quoted from post at 14:05:52 03/04/18) well, I backed into wife's car-damaged driver door. [ouch] found one, same paint color. I wish to transfer the vin decal from original. possible? any tips? thanks.

Pretty sure they are designed to prevent removal without damage for anti theft reasons.

How about carefully sawing it out of the door and keeping it, steel and all, for documentation purposes?

Wouldn't hurt to keep a paper trail on where the "new" door came from, as well.

Could ask insurance agent for advice, as well.

If you want to lay out some bucks, here's two "takes" on that, on claims to be officially authorized, the other not...

http://www.ecsvin.com/order.php

http://www.vehiclevinstickers.com/contact-us.html

thanks Bob and all for comments---yeah, I didn't know-but figured "VOID" or something like that might pop up. gonna go with cut-off wheel removal-strange that its on door, not post, thanks again folks!

I just moved one. I used a heat-gun and it worked great. That was on a 2004 Chevy.

Lots of clever thoughts on here. I would bet 999 to 1000 the lable will stripe or say void no matter what you try. Several replys said go talk to a dealer. Sounds good idea.

I worked in and around the auto collision industry for years and also building totalled out vehicles and having to comply with inspections and parts reciepts and the whole ball of wax. Your car has the vin plate on dash. Just take pics of the door on the car and close-ups for future proof of the door replacement and keep all in car document file. Good to go.

I bought a pickup on an auction once, and after they'd given me a bill of sale, I compared the VIN on the bill of sale to the VIN on the cowl and they didn't match. I checked the decal on the door and they matched.

I brought it to the auctioneer's attention and told him someone had obviously taken the VIN off the door instead of the cowl, figuring he'd be glad I caught the mistake. He blew up, said his wife had done the paperwork, and accused me of insulting his wife. In spite of all of his rantings, I didn't leave until I had a proper bill of sale.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back