Petcock to dipstick conversion

treeman53

I'm thinking about getting the dipstick conversion for my JD H. How do you calibrate the stick? Just mark it to top of petcock hole, or fill with specified amount in manual, and use that as full? I'm thinking top of hole, but thinking usually gets me into trouble....

I did this on my Farmall M, but it was an aftermarket conversion, so no calibration was needed. Do they sell a kit for a JD H? I would check Steiner as they have all sorts of aftermarket parts and add-ons.

Im not sure how that would go in with the 90 degree petcock but on trucks we would fill to the recommended level and then etch the full line with an engraver. if it was super close some people would twist it up to shrink it but I always cut it and wrote on it. Put the add mark in your case with not much for oil in it where it sits on the dipstick with one quart short. Id do that first then add the last quart. WOULD LOVE TO SEE A PICTURE WHEN YOU ARE DONE OF WHERE YOU CHOSE TO PUT IT! I have been contemplating something similar on my b. Ive had good luck putting a sight gauge on gearboxes and things of that nature with 2 90 degree fittings and a clear hose between. I was thinking about doing that.

Im not sure how that would go in with the 90 degree petcock but on trucks we would fill to the recommended level and then etch the full line with an engraver. if it was super close some people would twist it up to shrink it but I always cut it and wrote on it. Put the add mark in your case with not much for oil in it where it sits on the dipstick with one quart short. Id do that first then add the last quart. WOULD LOVE TO SEE A PICTURE WHEN YOU ARE DONE OF WHERE YOU CHOSE TO PUT IT! I have been contemplating something similar on my b. Ive had good luck putting a sight gauge on gearboxes and things of that nature with 2 90 degree fittings and a clear hose between. I was thinking about doing that.
That actually sounds like a better idea, I may have to change course...

So I started with John Deere's and switched colors over the years, but my dad still has all John Deere antiques. I got to thinking on how you check the oil in a lettered series JD and it's the same as A Farmall M or H. They both use a petcock, but the Farmall's is located in the oil pan, versus the JD's in the side of the crankcase. So I went to Stiener and the after market dip stick I installed will work in the lettered series JDs. Not sayin' it's cheap, but it does work. https://www.external_link/JDS3379-Engine-Dipstick-Conversion

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back