O O H farms

New User
Hello all,

I have a 1958 MF 50 with the continental engine I am having issues when the engine is under a pull its popping back through the intake randomly and is low on power it runs good and doesn’t use any oil to talk about I recently purchased it and found it had been sitting outside for a couple of years and the weights inside the distributor were rusty so I took them out and cleaned them as best as I could and it helped somewhat but still having issues I did a complete tune up points,plugs,cap, and rotor and put a new carb. Anyone have any ideas as to how I can fix this issue would be greatly appreciated

Hello all,

I have a 1958 MF 50 with the continental engine I am having issues when the engine is under a pull its popping back through the intake randomly and is low on power it runs good and doesn’t use any oil to talk about I recently purchased it and found it had been sitting outside for a couple of years and the weights inside the distributor were rusty so I took them out and cleaned them as best as I could and it helped somewhat but still having issues I did a complete tune up points,plugs,cap, and rotor and put a new carb. Anyone have any ideas as to how I can fix this issue would be greatly appreciated

Welcome to the forums.

A compression test should be done. At a minimum the valves may need adjusting. Did you time it with a light and make sure the advance is working?

I did adjust the valves but haven’t done a compression test and haven’t put a timing light on it. I am thinking the advance isn’t doing what it’s supposed to do so should I be changing the distributor

I did adjust the valves but haven’t done a compression test and haven’t put a timing light on it. I am thinking the advance isn’t doing what it’s supposed to do so should I be changing the distributor
Use a timing light, set the base timing at low idle and watch the timing marks as you speed the engine up to High idle (full rpm) and you can see if the advance is working. It should go from 6 degrees BTDC to 30 degrees BTDC, I think.

Hello all,

The dime a dozen aftermarket parts are often junk. I use Standard Blue Streak without issue. AGCO should also have quality parts, I don't have experience with their points or condenser.

If it were me?
I always check compression on a new to me engine. It gives me a base line.

Make sure the valves are set correctly on an up to temperature engine. You need to rig up a temp fuel tank for this.

Check the condenser with a meter.

Make sure the weights move freely and the springs are still springy. Check for side play in the distributor shaft.

Double check firing order and rotor rotation. Double check #1 is #1 on the cap.

Check timing at idle, 6 BTDC@450. 30 BTDC @ 2500 (check these numbers in the operator's manual). It should increase with RPM, it won't be true curve. The advance plate should be stamped with some numbers. 7 24 or something like that. 24 = advance. 6 plus 24 = 30 BTDC.

I also check all 4 cylinders with the timing light. It is a quick way to identify a ignition misfire, bad wire ect.

Some of these steps have already been mentioned. The above is SOP for any unknown engine to me. I would guess you have an advance issue. No way to know until the above steps are performed. On a new to me engine they need to be done anyway.

No chance I would buy a knock off distributor. I would rebuild it or call Pertronix, sp?, and see if they have a replacement for the correct distributor. Likely a Delco? Good chance the parts book has the correct distributor number. Yours should have an manufacturer and number on it.

Good Luck!

Thanks to everyone for your advice and comments I will be taking your advice and start at the beginning checking timing and and working my way through it all will update on what I find I kind of think it’s is my advance we will see!!!

Hello all,

it appears you have a valve problem . compression check will verify.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back