Power steering 6610 series 2

I have a 1994 ford 6610 that is leaking steering fluid somewhere. I don’t see any coming from around the reservoir seal or any noticeable leaking around the steering box. I can fill the fluid reservoir up to the fill cap and drive for about 15 minutes and the fluid level has dropped about 1/4 of the way down.

I do have a small drip under the tractor weep hole with cotter pin. But drips maybe 6-7 times after tractor is off and then stops.

I’m not sure where this fluid is going. Maybe a seal in the actual power steering pump and going into crank case

I also don’t see any noticeable leaks from the steering cylinder on front of tractor
204B46F4-EAB7-4DD6-98D0-78889FFDFF52.jpeg
318F47B5-D880-40FA-82BD-59D323A5B917.jpeg
4A4C9502-ECE0-4B5E-BB4F-911310960AF4.jpeg

Those pumps are known to leak at the seal in the front of the pump shaft and then fluid goes into the crank case. Check your oil to see if it smells like the power steering fluid. You don't want to run the engine with the oil contaminated like that, as it can be bad for the bearings.

Upvote 0
Those pumps are known to leak at the seal in the front of the pump shaft and then fluid goes into the crank case. Check your oil to see if it smells like the power steering fluid. You don't want to run the engine with the oil contaminated like that, as it can be bad for the bearings.
I have been running the hydraulic/trans oil that I run in the rear. I heard that was the fluid to use and not power steering fluid

Upvote 0
I have a 1994 ford 6610 that is leaking steering fluid somewhere. I don’t see any coming from around the reservoir seal or any noticeable leaking around the steering box. I can fill the fluid reservoir up to the fill cap and drive for about 15 minutes and the fluid level has dropped about 1/4 of the way down.

I do have a small drip under the tractor weep hole with cotter pin. But drips maybe 6-7 times after tractor is off and then stops.

I’m not sure where this fluid is going. Maybe a seal in the actual power steering pump and going into crank case

I also don’t see any noticeable leaks from the steering cylinder on front of tractor
View attachment 1569View attachment 1570 View attachment 1571
The oil could be passing through the front shaft seal of the pump. If it is, your engine oil level should be going up on the dipstick.

It's also possible that the steering motor is leaking (it looks wet) and the oil is being pushed through a broken rubber seal below it and into the front transmission cavity. This could explain your leak out the weep hole.

Upvote 0
I have been running the hydraulic/trans oil that I run in the rear. I heard that was the fluid to use and not power steering fluid
I meant to check if the engine oil smells like whatever fluid you have in the power steering system. Most folks use the same UTF as they use in the rest of the tractor, but it doesn't smell like motor oil, and it has friction modifiers that can cause problems for the engine main and rod bearings if you run it for too long with some of that stuff in the crankcase.

Upvote 0

View attachment 1569View attachment 1570 View attachment 1571
As others have said.. I would power wash it and then start fixing any and all leaks as you go along. All of those wet areas are leaks.. and your probably also leaking into the crankcase.. which is hard to notice any change in the motor oil level. But till you fix the obvious, you dont know about the front pump seals.

Upvote 0
The oil could be passing through the front shaft seal of the pump. If it is, your engine oil level should be going up on the dipstick.

It's also possible that the steering motor is leaking (it looks wet) and the oil is being pushed through a broken rubber seal below it and into the front transmission cavity. This could explain your leak out the weep hole.
Ya I had just sprayed off the tractor so it is a bit wet. But there is some oil/dirt buildup around the steering motor. But don’t notice any leaking out externally. I think it’s just dirty and oily.
I ordered a seal kit for the steering pump and will try to do a rebuild on it and see if it fixes it.

The amount of oil that drips out the weep hole is slim compared to how much oil I’m losing in the power steering reservoir. That’s why I’m hoping that it is that seal because I bet the seal on steering motor is a pain in the butt

Upvote 0
I meant to check if the engine oil smells like whatever fluid you have in the power steering system. Most folks use the same UTF as they use in the rest of the tractor, but it doesn't smell like motor oil, and it has friction modifiers that can cause problems for the engine main and rod bearings if you run it for too long with some of that stuff in the crankcase.
Ya hopefully will have it fixed soon. Hoping it’s the seal on the steering pump vs the steering motor. That is probably a pain to do With a cab on it

Upvote 0
As others have said.. I would power wash it and then start fixing any and all leaks as you go along. All of those wet areas are leaks.. and your probably also leaking into the crankcase.. which is hard to notice any change in the motor oil level. But till you fix the obvious, you dont know about the front pump seals.
Ya I ordered a steering pump seal kit. So I will install that and see if it fixes anything then move onto the steering box seals. I think that will be a pain since I have a aftermarket cab. But cab isn’t terrible to remove
E4808661-EBC0-4012-8536-7403FD676602.png

Upvote 0

Would you happen to know if they make a seal kit for the steering motor. I’ve been looking online and can’t seem to find anything

Upvote 0

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back