Question for Chris

Majorman

Hi Chris,
Just checking, when I post pictures I am finding that I have to resize them to less than 1mb, other wise they take an age to load or do not load at all. All in jpg format. Is this normal for the new forum or should I use something like a pic. bmp. or png. format?

It's strange you say this at the same time Casecollector said it. We tested this a couple of weeks back and the size limit was larger than the old system. I'll do some testing with large photos.

Hi Chris,
Just checking, when I post pictures I am finding that I have to resize them to less than 1mb, other wise they take an age to load or do not load at all. All in jpg format. Is this normal for the new forum or should I use something like a pic. bmp. or png. format?
Just tested up to 4.3MB and that was fine. The next size photo I had up was 7.8MB and that was too large. What size are you having issues with?

@Jim.ME just posted a 6.27MB as a test so it looks like the limit is as we expected. If you are not able to upload a photo that is smaller than that, email that photo to me at support at yesterdaystractors.com so I can look it over. Unfortunately, depending on your email client, it might resize it automatically.

I didn't respond on the format question, png, gif and jpg are all good formats to the system.

@Jim.ME just posted a 6.27MB as a test so it looks like the limit is as we expected. If you are not able to upload a photo that is smaller than that, email that photo to me at support at yesterdaystractors.com so I can look it over. Unfortunately, depending on your email client, it might resize it automatically.

I didn't respond on the format question, png, gif and jpg are all good formats to the system.
I found a 7.09MB jpg, and it loaded. Could the speed of a connection affect the size that will load, in some cases?

I found a 7.09MB jpg, and it loaded. Could the speed of a connection affect the size that will load, in some cases?
Yes if that speed introduces errors, but that would manifest by the upload just not working rather than giving the message that the photo is too large. If two people have had that message this morning, I would need to see the file they are trying to upload "out of band", in other words, emailing it to me. There has to be another factor given our tests this morning. Net connection may be one of them, but generally people are experiencing much faster times on this connection than the old one.

This picture says it is a 7.08MB jpg file from my source device.
Upon attaching here the thumbnail says it is 3.2MB jpg file.
After posting, I downloaded the same picture from this post.
Now my source device says it is 3.2MB jpg file.
So then I attached here again, but it went thru and stayed the same 3.2MB.
I attached it again to see if it would again downsize by nearly half, it didn't.

The first 7.08mb file thumbnail loaded in about 4 seconds.

Attachments

• squirrel trap.jpg
    squirrel trap.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 6
  • squirrel trap (1).jpg
    squirrel trap (1).jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Sorry Chris, did not see your replies as you had moved the post. Most of my pictures are around 3 to 4 MB and to get them to post I have to drop them to below 1MB. I have a very fast Broadband, it is fibre right to my door so do not have a speed problem. This one is 3.91MB and loaded fine so I will try again and see what happens tomorrow.

DSCN5665 - Copy.JPG

We've found multiple things.

Photos which are dragged and dropped are limited to 7MB.

Photos put in through the attach button are limited to 7MB.

Photos entered via the Insert Photo button seem to not be limited. The largest entered so far has been 13.3MB.

From there, things get confusing.

Entering a high resolution photo with the attach button or dragging dropping, may display in it's entirety if below some unknown size threshhold or it may be a smaller version or thumb that opens the photo browser to display it.

Entering a high res photo with the Insert Photo button may generate a link which when clicked will open the photo in another browser window with scroll bars.

All these conditions seem to relate to resolution and the physical size of the photo (not the file size) and how it can fit on the page or whether it needs scroll bars to display and look at.

None of the tests we've done have shown file size limits other than what I mention in the first three lines. In other words, we can't create a situation where a photo fails to load for file sizes other than those sizes mentioned.

If you hit a problem again, email the photo to me at support at yesterdaystractors.com and tell me what actions you took to attempt the upload, plus the specific error message you got. Also make not of the file size your system says it is before emailing. Some email systems automatically downsize large images.

Hi Chris again, Loaded pictures this morning without having to resize them and they went straight up. The only one that caused a long delay to upload was the Monday Compilation, even though it was only 2 MB. That took longer to load than the M.A.N tractor picture that is 3.6MB (at this end) and that went up immediately. Thank you for that.

Hi Chris again, Loaded pictures this morning without having to resize them and they went straight up. The only one that caused a long delay to upload was the Monday Compilation, even though it was only 2 MB. That took longer to load than the M.A.N tractor picture that is 3.6MB (at this end) and that went up immediately. Thank you for that.
Is the compilation the same file type as the rest? That may have something to do with it.

Mike

Is the compilation the same file type as the rest? That may have something to do with it.

Mike
You just triggered a thought, I didn't even mention to people having problems with photos that the limit is most likely 7MB total for all photos, like the old system was. 4 photos of 2MB will probably fail as it used to.

You just triggered a thought, I didn't even mention to people having problems with photos that the limit is most likely 7MB total for all photos, like the old system was. 4 photos of 2MB will probably fail as it used to.
The compilation photo referenced downloads as 2.067kb.

Drag 'n' drop got me 7 pics posted in one box down in the test area. Don't know if other means of uploading pics will change that outcome or not.

Mike

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back