Question on 4630 power steering line

NoDakInMN

The power steering return line on my 4630 started to leak because the hose was starting to deteriorate. This is the top line on power steering valve in the cab console and has hose clamps on both ends. I got the replacement hose from JD and put it on, but it has now blown off of the steering valve fitting twice in just a matter of a few minutes. I have torqued the hose clap for all it is worth, but it still blows off. The hose has a hard red plastic liner in it, sort of like PEX, and I'm wondering if it was meant for use on a barb fitting rather than the one on the steering which just has kind of a fat spot in the tube.

So if I need to go to a different hose, what would be recommended? It is 3/8" inside diameter and 5/8" outside diameter and can't be too much bigger on the outside as it needs to fit through a hole in the firewall.

The oil line you are referring to is the low pressure return off the steering metering pump under
dash. There should not be this kind of pressure at this line / circuit. Low pressure is supplied to
the metering pump from the steering valve located in front of cab under hood, Suspect actual problem
is in the steering valve allowing too much oil pressure into the metering pump.

(quoted from post at 21:34:25 10/26/23) The oil line you are referring to is the low pressure return off the steering metering pump under
dash. There should not be this kind of pressure at this line / circuit. Low pressure is supplied to
the metering pump from the steering valve located in front of cab under hood, Suspect actual problem
is in the steering valve allowing too much oil pressure into the metering pump.

The old hose never blew off, just the new one. the old one was developing pinhole leaks and you could see that the material was breaking down.

Deere has the fittings to make it JIC like the other hoses, on the valve, but you have to disassemble the valve to install them.

I wonder if some debris from the old line could be jammed into the lower hose barb for the steering return line?

The steering return joins the charge oil flow to the hydraulic pump and oil cooler, if something is wrong in that area pressure on the steering return line will rise along with the pressure there.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back