Question On B's Reduction Gear & Input Drive Shaft

NoDakInMN

I'm putting my B back together after replacing the bearings on the input shaft. I replaced both bearings in the transmission case and the one in the reduction cover. My question is, how tight should the castle nut be on the threaded end of the input shaft?

The reason I'm asking is that when I have it almost tight, the reduction gear spins freely, but when I tighten the last 1/2 turn, there is a very noticeable resistance to the gear spinning. My manual says nothing about how this goes back together in any detail.

The bearing in the reduction cover was completely shot when I got the tractor and on disassembly, I found the right hand case bearing had flat spots on it. In addition to the bearings, the input shaft, reduction gear, spacer and castle nut all needed to be replaced because of wear. I have everything in place according to the manual's exploded diagram. One thing I just thought of, is I do not know if the thrust washer under the castle nut is correct and may be pressing down on both the outer race and inner race of the reduction cover bearing. Maybe that was wrong from the start and led to the failure. I'm going to check that out now. But if anyone has some thoughts on this, I'd appreciate it.

The bearing in the reduction cover retained in cover by a snap ring on each side of it is what determines / positions TDS (transmission drive
shaft) running location. The heavy / thick chamfered washer goes between the FRG (first reduction gear) and cover bearing. There originally was a
thin washer under castellated nut. Tighten nut to draw shaft through bearing, which in turn will cause inner bearing race to contact and apply
pressure on chamfered side of spacer / washer that will force first reduction gear onto tapered TDS. Tighten nut enough to drawn draw / force
FRG tight on TDS. Do not get too tight as you can pop the threaded end off shaft but, snug it up line 85-100 Ft lbs. Check that tapered spline on
TDS and FRG are not wore out allowing FRG to travel too far onto shaft?? DW

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back