Question on side mount distributor on earlier 8n block

wetrock

New User
I have a question I'm hoping someone can assist with. Just how hard is it to time a later side mount distributor engine that has had it's original cracked block replaced with an earlier front mounted distributor block? As you can see in these two images, this 8n has a side mount distributor but there is no timing hole on the flywheel cover. Another issue is that the oil filler tube is in the earlier location and has been modified to clear the alternator/generator location of a later style 8n. I was seriously considering buying this tractor but didn't realize the block wasn't actually correct at the time I was looking at it. The current owner had a shop do the block replacement and I'm not exactly sure they even realized the difference themselves. Would this be considered a deal breaker that I should walk away from or just a minor issue that can be worked around? Does anyone see anything else wrong with this setup that I'm missing?

cvphoto160473.jpg

cvphoto160474.jpg

Thanks, any input would be greatly appreciated.

Here's my side dizzy conversion on my '48. Yes no timing hole. Haven't had a problem with it over the years. Wouldn't be a deal breaker IMO.

<a href=https://imgur.com/y3abJGB>
y3abJGBl.jpg title=source: imgur.com
</a>

(quoted from post at 19:43:09 08/08/23) I have a question I'm hoping someone can assist with. Just how hard is it to time a later side mount distributor engine that has had it's original cracked block replaced with an earlier front mounted distributor block? As you can see in these two images, this 8n has a side mount distributor but there is no timing hole on the flywheel cover. Another issue is that the oil filler tube is in the earlier location and has been modified to clear the alternator/generator location of a later style 8n. I was seriously considering buying this tractor but didn't realize the block wasn't actually correct at the time I was looking at it. The current owner had a shop do the block replacement and I'm not exactly sure they even realized the difference themselves. Would this be considered a deal breaker that I should walk away from or just a minor issue that can be worked around? Does anyone see anything else wrong with this setup that I'm missing?

&lt;img src=https://www.yesterdaystractors.com/cvphotos/cvphoto160473.jpg&gt;

&lt;img src=https://www.yesterdaystractors.com/cvphotos/cvphoto160474.jpg&gt;

bought a working 40 with a 51 block coverted to front mount. The man that did the conversion died 10 years ago. No problems with the block swap so far.

Thanks for the info. In setups like this, what steps do you take when it comes to setting the timing correctly?

(quoted from post at 10:01:17 08/11/23) Thanks for the info. In setups like this, what steps do you take when it comes to setting the timing correctly?
ou can time it by ear/feel or as I did and later, found TDC-compression on #1 by watching valves on #4 , called "on the rock" and file a notch in crank pulley in line with block to pan interface, so I could use timing light.
FMa2ILQ.mp4

Looks like have to copy image link and paste into a new tab.

This post was edited by JMOR on 08/11/2023 at 09:46 am.

I have a question I'm hoping someone can assist with. Just how hard is it to time a later side mount distributor engine that has had it's original cracked block replaced with an earlier front mounted distributor block? As you can see in these two images, this 8n has a side mount distributor but there is no timing hole on the flywheel cover. Another issue is that the oil filler tube is in the earlier location and has been modified to clear the alternator/generator location of a later style 8n. I was seriously considering buying this tractor but didn't realize the block wasn't actually correct at the time I was looking at it. The current owner had a shop do the block replacement and I'm not exactly sure they even realized the difference themselves. Would this be considered a deal breaker that I should walk away from or just a minor issue that can be worked around? Does anyone see anything else wrong with this setup that I'm missing?

cvphoto160473.jpg

cvphoto160474.jpg

You can set preliminary timing on a side mount without the timing light as outlined in your Owner's Manual. You pull Spark Plug #1 and find TDC by feel of compression. That will get you in the ball park.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back