Ford 8n sherman transmission timing

Al/ lindley

New User
After rebuilding my 8n with a side,ount distributor, i am unsure of how to set the timing. My sherman transmission has no inspection hole to view the numbers on the flywheel. So I put the engine on top dead center using a dial indicator with both valves closed and marked the front pulley to show where TDC is.
I think its crazy that I can't see the marks on the flywheel. I'm hoping this thing will run. I'm just going to put the distributor back in the block and point it toward number one spark plug and hope it runs

Are you saying your 8N does not have the timing window in the clutch (bell) housing, ahead of the transmission? A picture borrowed from the web.

mvphoto108361.jpg

Yes, the sherman transmission has no teardrop cover on the bell housing ro remove so you can
look inside at the timing marks. I have the engine out right now and can look inside the bell
housing. There are no holes in it anywhere.

Its frustrating, because I have no reference point to set the timing. I've read a lot about the 8n
on the internet but no one seems to cover this issue.

My hope was the someone has had a similar experience and couldguide me as to how to time
the engine.

So I got out my dial indicator and set it on the block and turned the engine over until i was at top
dead center, or close to it and marked the front pulley and the block next to it.

I hope it works!

Thanks!

Al

I don't have an 8N, so I've only read about the timing mark window. However, If you have the number one piston at TDC and the valves are closed, the rotor is pointing toward the number one tower, then I would try to start it. What do you have to lose?

I think your process is adequate to locate tdc. I cant remember if the side mount 8n's are timed at tdc or slightly advanced. Something about 5 deg before tdc is rattling in my head. If so, you will have to determine where to put your timing mark.
Your lack of a timing window has nothing to do with the Sherman transmission as it is completely invisible inside the clutch housing
Except for shifter, of course. I suspect your block has been replaced with a block for a front mounted distributor.
Good luck.

I don't know about a 8N but the 9N or 2N does not have anything liker that window. I
have both a 9N and 2N.

Lord move that fuel hose and replace it with metal ,when it melts it will empty the fuel tank on the fire

(quoted from post at 15:59:02 08/09/23) Lord move that fuel hose and replace it with metal ,when it melts it will empty the fuel tank on the fire

Your advice is good, but it will likely fall on deaf ears. If you read my post, that picture was borrowed from the web.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back