red brass vs yellow brass.

DeltaRed

I usually use uncoated yellow brass for brazeing. I have several sticks of(what I think is)red brass rod. Is it the same? Same strength? It seems softer. Do I use just like the yellow brass?I may just go and practice a bit and find out.

I usually use uncoated yellow brass for brazeing. I have several sticks of(what I think is)red brass rod. Is it the same? Same strength? It seems softer. Do I use just like the yellow brass?I may just go and practice a bit and find out.
chart of rod types.

This chart is pretty solid, but not with the identifying info unless the rods have a labeled tube or? rods can have coatings that prevent tarnish/patina. or not. Jim

Red brass is generally harder than yellow? It may be a coating? Possibly Bronze.

Off your subject a bit but my father in law was a pipeline welder, when he passed I inherited the contents of his shop and there was 10 lbs of silicon bronze welding rods. Not for gas welding but arc welding electrodes, have yet to have reason to try them on anything but wonder how they would do on cast iron?

"The most popular red brass, C83600 (85 Metal, 85-5-5-5), contains nominally 5% lead. Permanent mold and pressure die castings of plumbing components are also commonly made of the leaded yellow brass alloy C85800, which contains nominally 1.5% lead."

NOT exactly what you asked, but makes a distinction between "red" and "yellow" brass.

Red brass is generally harder than yellow? It may be a coating? Possibly Bronze.

Off your subject a bit but my father in law was a pipeline welder, when he passed I inherited the contents of his shop and there was 10 lbs of silicon bronze welding rods. Not for gas welding but arc welding electrodes, have yet to have reason to try them on anything but wonder how they would do on cast iron?
I was in R&D my last few years at Lincoln. One of out techs was working on using silicon bronze mig wire on galvanized sheet metal. At the time the auto industry was going more and more to galvanized and they wanted better ways to weld it. The s-b wire laid down a beautiful bead without burning up the zinc. Problem was it needed slower travel speed to give it time for the zinc to outgas before the puddle froze. Car companies just don't want to hear slow down.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back