Replace clutch assembly on 8n

Gvp

New User
Bought clutch kit 121833 for 8n installed it and adjusted as far as throw out bearing and pedal will travel. The clutch will not release for you to shift. Split tractor again and measured the friction disc to face of fingers on new clutch. Compared to the old one there is more than half an inch difference between the two. Old clutch has bolts on the end of the fingers new one doesn’t. Did they send me the wrong clutch assembly or what. Checked all the linkages etc. and nothing is worn.

Were you able to adjust clutch pedal so it had 1/2 inch of play? I put one in a few months ago and it took almost all the adjustment to set the free play

I can’t get enough adjustment to get the 1/2 in. free play and push pedal down and release the clutch the new clutch fingers are 1/2 to 3/4 in. further towards the flyw
heel than the old one.

Some one here had similar issue I think. The pin holding the clutch throw out forks was loose on the shaft?
Or need to make longer eye bolt on clutch linkage?

Every thing is tight and a longer bolt makes the problem worse as it is binding on the clutch pedal arm already. Just take a look at how the adjustment works.

I think the other poster on the clutch issue had to heat and bend the adjustment link a little to get proper operation. There were pictures, IIRC. zuhnc

No. I put it in the same way as the old one.
How "thick" is the new lined plate compared to the old one?

Since quality control for these old tractor parts no longer exists it's possible the new plate is unusually thick, which will result in the pressure plate fingers moving excessively close to the clutch hub.

Sounds like you might have put the clutch fork on backwards, it is an easy mistake to make. Don't ask me how I know...

Did not take any of that mechanism apart. Last night I just put new disc in and put old pressure plate back on and it worked. So what the???

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back