fatl844

Hey guys. I have a couple of questions. Got my ford 8n front mount started and running-it was the electronic ignition from pertronix that was the problem. Just wanting to clarify, is there supposed to be a resistor for 12v electronic ignition? I have browsed on here some for that answer, but haven't heard yet. I didn't do the conversion it already had it. I will post pictures on here. It's running ok, but struggles and dies on hills sometimes, and also when first letting off the clutch unless it is real low throttle. I'm wanting to max out the power so it will run the brush hog. Right now it does run it but I would like it to run faster, it starts sputtering when I give it throttle. Also, I replaced this fuse but was just curious what it was for, I'll post some pictures.

Attachments

• 20240503_123154.jpg
    20240503_123154.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 29
  • 20240503_123158.jpg
    20240503_123158.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 30
  • 20240503_123200.jpg
    20240503_123200.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 29
Trace the fuse wire to see what it is feeding power to. Resistor or not depends on the coil being used. ~3 Ohm coil , results in ~4 amperes and needs no resistor, but....if say a 1.6 ohm coil, that would be ~7.5 ampere and is too much current, so add enough resistor to get up to coil + resistor equal ~3 Ohms (1.6 +1.4 =3). I actual operation currents will be higher, as gen or alt will boost voltage closer to 14.

Hey guys. I have a couple of questions. Got my ford 8n front mount started and running-it was the electronic ignition from pertronix that was the problem. Just wanting to clarify, is there supposed to be a resistor for 12v electronic ignition? I have browsed on here some for that answer, but haven't heard yet. I didn't do the conversion it already had it. I will post pictures on here. It's running ok, but struggles and dies on hills sometimes, and also when first letting off the clutch unless it is real low throttle. I'm wanting to max out the power so it will run the brush hog. Right now it does run it but I would like it to run faster, it starts sputtering when I give it throttle. Also, I replaced this fuse but was just curious what it was for, I'll post some pictures.
As JMOR told you, resistor(s) depend on coil resistance. Ohm's Law applies. An original, 6 volt coil would have had bout 1.0 -- 1.5 ohms of resistance, so if converting to 12 volts, AND keeping that original 6 volt coil, you would need to add resistor(s) to bring the resistance up to about 3.0 ohms. A coil that has been receiving to much amperage (6 volt coil (+/- 1.0 ohms) on a 12 volt system), will eventually begin to break down. This can cause poor running, but then the coil would eventually fail causing no spark.

The symptoms you describe sound more to me like a fuel mixture that's too lean.
struggles and dies on hills sometimes, and also when first letting off the clutch ....., it starts sputtering when I give it throttle.

Try opening the Main jet on your carburetor by a 1/4 tun at a time to make the mixture richer. After each adjustment, goose the throttle to full open and see if it climbs smoother, rather than stumbling. If so, try the tractor in your other situations and look for improvement. Go just rich enough, and then maybe a 1/8 -- 1/4 turn more. No More. If you have real cold winters you may need to open another 1/4 turn or so in the cold weather.

i installed my pertronix on my 2N front mount 4 years ago now. i called them and asked them about resistors. they told me to remove all of them. i did.so far, so good.

i installed my pertronix on my 2N front mount 4 years ago now. i called them and asked them about resistors. they told me to remove all of them. i did.so far, so good.
Why do some think one size fits all?! Details such as which particular coil, which particular EI unit actually do matter.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back