rustred & used red MN

Lynerd

I have been working on some carburetors getting cleaned and put together. One is a M and the other 2 are 400 carbs. One is 50983DC and the other 2 are 356948R91. The other one on the 450 is a later carburetor as the idle adjustment is on the mounting flange. Bead blasted and put together with some new parts and old ones. I then cleared instead of painting. Get my grandpas M out and put them on and hook to dyno and see how they work. Lynn

Attachments

• IMG_0152.jpeg
    IMG_0152.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 51
i have never heard of bead blasting a carb to clean it. i always soak them in a pail of gunk the good stuff but not as good as it used to be. let them soak for a couple hrs. or overnight depending. back when i worked at gm that was the strong stuff and it was like 1/2 hr. of sosking in the good stuff, plus when doing a carb on flat rate work you cant spend to much time soaking them thats why it was strong stuff. they came out looking like brand new carbs when you were done the job. guess its ok to blast the outside but you dont want to be blasting anything inside . but as i said there was no reason to blast with the good stuff anyhow. they came out clean. then a wash in cool water and a blow out with air and go to it. i also see that the red bowl should be on the centre carb.due to the choke cable matching the upper half. on the supers the choke rod is inside towards the block while the straight m or 6 the choke rod is on the outside of the carb. good luck, hope they work out for you.

rr, so what is telling you there is a difference in the tops? I agree when bead blasting in the internal passages it can be a little tricky to get that all cleaned out.

i have never heard of bead blasting a carb to clean it. i always soak them in a pail of gunk the good stuff but not as good as it used to be. let them soak for a couple hrs. or overnight depending. back when i worked at gm that was the strong stuff and it was like 1/2 hr. of sosking in the good stuff, plus when doing a carb on flat rate work you cant spend to much time soaking them thats why it was strong stuff. they came out looking like brand new carbs when you were done the job. guess its ok to blast the outside but you dont want to be blasting anything inside . but as i said there was no reason to blast with the good stuff anyhow. they came out clean. then a wash in cool water and a blow out with air and go to it. i also see that the red bowl should be on the centre carb.due to the choke cable matching the upper half. on the supers the choke rod is inside towards the block while the straight m or 6 the choke rod is on the outside of the carb. good luck, hope they work out for you.
rustred A old fellow who is now 88 years old taught me 34 years ago bead blasting on the 2 cylinder carbs. I watched a video on youtube by Squatch253 2 weeks ago rebuilding M carburetor. Soaks bowl in rust remover then takes it to blast cabinet. Lynn

rustred A old fellow who is now 88 years old taught me 34 years ago bead blasting on the 2 cylinder carbs. I watched a video on youtube by Squatch253 2 weeks ago rebuilding M carburetor. Soaks bowl in rust remover then takes it to blast cabinet. Lynn

yes squatch is one of the few on u tube which i was impressed with, that actually can do and post the proper procedure doing a job. i buzzed through his video and was looking for his float install and setting but i didnt see that operation, pretty important. plus he went right through the complete tear down which the average person does not do and dont need to do unless the carb is totally worn out. but he does a good job on everything. plus i think he makes big money on his videos from u tube. i watched his video on a d2 cat restoration with every nut and bolt removed and went right through it in a couple years. it was a big job, but that how you learn stuff by someone explaining every little detail, and showing the actual correct way things are done.

rr, so what is telling you there is a difference in the tops? I agree when bead blasting in the internal passages it can be a little tricky to get that all cleaned out.
yes there is a difference , look at the 2 carbs on the right, the mixture screw is at the top , and those are 560 carbs. different than the farmall m and w6 carbs. look at the carb bowls also and the choke set up , 400 up to the 560 use a cable. thats why i said what i said to have them correct.

I can’t fault you for this because obviously you are not seeing the carbs in person, to blame is the picture. What your seeing are the idle stop screws. Here is a blown up picture of the middle carb, I have circled the hidden idle mixture screw on in it. The mixture screw on the later carbs are way up on the mounting flange as described by Lynerd although his description are a little run together in his wording. See carb in this Link(you have to click on the small carb at the bottom to see a better pic) I think when he said “The other one on the 450 is a later carburetor as the idle adjustment is on the mounting flange.“ he is just pointing out that there is a different carb and a different number for those. I am only going to this detail because I was wanting you to give me an ah ha moment telling me about something I couldn’t see. If we asked him to post a picture of the other side all would be clear.
IMG_4013.jpeg

Last edited:
yes squatch is one of the few on u tube which i was impressed with, that actually can do and post the proper procedure doing a job. i buzzed through his video and was looking for his float install and setting but i didnt see that operation, pretty important. plus he went right through the complete tear down which the average person does not do and dont need to do unless the carb is totally worn out. but he does a good job on everything. plus i think he makes big money on his videos from u tube. i watched his video on a d2 cat restoration with every nut and bolt removed and went right through it in a couple years. it was a big job, but that how you learn stuff by someone explaining every little detail, and showing the actual correct way things are done.
rustred Squatch is one of a few that I watch and I watch all of his. The D2 was incredible with the amount of work he put into it. The float setting was in one of the other parts. He even set the float when it was hanging down to something like 1 15/16. I haven't seen that setting on instructions I have. Lynn

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back