rrlund

I always thought that stuff was a punch line for a joke, but apparently it works. The cam phasers started acting up
in my 07 Ford 5.4 a year ago February. I didn't even know about such a thing, but when I took it to the local Tire
and Auto where we have things done, Tim told me that's likely what it was. He said sometimes an oil change helps,
so I changed it. It was still acting up a few months later, so my son told me to put Sea Foam in it. I smiled
because I thought he was joking. He said ''No, I'm serious''. I did, and after a while, it straightened out and the
tick went away.

Two weeks ago, I was hauling a chopper home from an auction, slowed down for a light about three miles from home
and that thing cut loose hammering like it had dropped about 4 valves in to the pistons. I limped toward home with
it hammering home and smoothing out. I got a few hundred feet from home and it smoothed right out. I was about 700
miles over due for an oil change, so I had the wife go get oil, a filter and a bottle of sea foam and changed the
oil. It was ticking bad after the change and I figured the damage was permanent this time.

I hauled a fertilizer spreader with it last week and it was ticking pretty bad. I had to take a load of cattle to
the sale barn yesterday and was on pins and needles over it. By the time I was 15 miles from home, I couldn't hear
the ticking anymore at road speed, but when we unloaded 35 miles later, it was still ticking while it idled. When
we got home, the ticking was gone. I started it this morning just to see and it was quiet even while it was cold.

Tim didn't want to get in to it deep enough to change those cam phasers, so I called another shop that my son
recommended, told the service manger the story and that it has 228,000 miles on it, and that I thought we should
change them anyway. He said it would be a smart thing to do, so it's going in later this month.

I don't know what's in that stuff or whether it's good for an engine in the long run or not, but it sure cleaned
out those oil passages and got those phasers working right again.

Store brand Parts Plus 5w 20. Seems like they told me once that most store brands are made by Mobil.

Refund,

You may wish to look at cam phaser eliminator. Also look at timing chain guide plastic failures.
It will add decades to that engine

D.

I use Sea Foam in the gas of my small 2-strokes occasionally, if they're running less than perfect, It works for me, haven't needed any yet this season. The Stihl leaf blower started hard this spring, maybe I will put some in it.

I am sold on the stuff. I use in all my small engines, lawn mowers, chain saws, log splitter. This spring the lawn mowers fired right up after setting inside all winter.

I've seen those online. They need a computer update don't they? I'd thought they might be a good idea with that many miles. I'll see what the service manager at the shop says when I take it in. They're not an authorized dealer for anything, but my son says they have some of the best mechanics around. He does some engine machining for them as well as building engines for the owners three race cars, so I guess he'd know as well as anybody what kind of work they do. I'll trust their judgement when I take it in.

Oil and oil additives always bring out a variety of opinions.

I get nervous running very long with aftermarket solvents and oil thinners mixed into the engine oil. I do add them to engines that are warmed up just before an oil change, let it idle for 5 to 10 minutes to dissolve varnish and sludge, then dump the oil to flush out the crud rather than circulate it for several thousand more miles, especially in modern close tolerance engines with variable valve timing.

If an engine is already on it's last legs, aftermarket solvents may not do much additional harm, but I don't use them for a extended time in otherwise healthy engines.

i was like you, thought it was snake oil. I cant say how may time i have used it now. Dads old carbureted Polaris ranger gets to running ruff just a lil seafoam in the gas and its running fine.

Ive yet to experience any miracles from Seafoam but did go through the cam phaser ordeal on an 06 5.4. Hammered like yours. I bought Dorman aftermatkets and they lasted 5K mile. Bought new from Ford $$$$ and put 150k miles on it before the truck was totalled at 318,000 miles.

Hi Neighbor--I bought a 3010 gasser that sounded like a 620--Dumped in the Sea Foam and in just a short while it runs very well. I like the stuff....

(quoted from post at 08:50:11 05/02/23) Oil and oil additives always bring out a variety of opinions.

I get nervous running very long with aftermarket solvents and oil thinners mixed into the engine oil. I do add them to engines that are warmed up just before an oil change, let it idle for 5 to 10 minutes to dissolve varnish and sludge, then dump the oil to flush out the crud rather than circulate it for several thousand more miles, especially in modern close tolerance engines with variable valve timing.

If an engine is already on it's last legs, aftermarket solvents may not do much additional harm, but I don't use them for a extended time in otherwise healthy engines.

Do you have before and after pics of sludge-varnish and no sludge-varnish?

I use it as a fuel stabilizer especially on small engines that will sit for months.it also helps prevent gummed up carburetors on my 2 stroke outboard.

I'm sure they'll change the oil again when they put the new phasers in. But ya, I just wonder what it'll do to gaskets and o rings over time if it's left in there.

My friend's wife was complaining that he was lacking the old zippedee doodah that he used to have so he added a tablespoon every day to his corn flakes. He thought he had more energy but his wife said the whole thing was a big waste of time and money.

Don't get a chance to wear out an engine with all the road salt during the winter. Even with the light winter we just went through the county and state put down 8 shots of salt.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back