Shifting on a JD 730

Navajo350

Any particular reason why all of a sudden shifting cannot be done when going from right side of quadrant to left. I can shift from any gear on right side of quadrant. And no, it cannot be solved with with engaging the clutch a little. It just did this randomly when not even pulling anything, just leaving from a standstill.

Thanks,
Robert

When you move the shift lever from side to side, from one shift ''station'' to the other, a separate ''ball'' on the gearshift lever performs a hi-to-lo or lo-to-hi shift by shoving a shift fork on a shift rail from tight-to-left or left-to-right, sliding a gear.

Likely, this shift did not occur properly due to wear and the area of the shift fork that the ball on the shift lever is supposed to be engaged with has disengaged and has been shoved far enough over that the ball on the lever won't mesh with it until you remove the transmission cover and figure out how it all works and move the fork back to where it's supposed to be.

h8i9Jqk.jpg

IIRC, the upper ball on the shift lever does the range shift and the lower ball selects the ''gear''.

My 630 would do something similar to that, due to worn shifters. I found
that if you press down hard on the lever as you move it from right to left,
it would shift into the next range. It will eventually need to be rebuilt.

Ben

Agree with the other tow responses. After getting it re-aligned, a lot of the wear can be taken out by replacing the shift lever and socket
assembly it pivots in. The forks inside may be worn as well, but the shift lever and joint should get it back in working order.

(quoted from post at 08:23:31 12/17/23) Agree with the other tow responses. After getting it re-aligned, a lot of the wear can be taken out by replacing the shift lever and socket
assembly it pivots in. The forks inside may be worn as well, but the shift lever and joint should get it back in working order.

Thanks gentlemen

(quoted from post at 17:51:10 12/16/23) Any particular reason why all of a sudden shifting cannot be done when going from right side of quadrant to left. I can shift from any gear on right side of quadrant. And no, it cannot be solved with with engaging the clutch a little. It just did this randomly when not even pulling anything, just leaving from a standstill.

Thanks,
Robert

My 620 is similar but if I slightly engage the clutch while shifting it goes right into the left quadrant as it should.

cvphoto168781.png

Check out #6 and #11 in the parts book. They work
together when you shift side to side. The #6 pawl is a lock
and the shifter has to push on the #11 lever to unlock it
so the shifter will move to the other side. I had to get
these 2 parts welded up and machined true on a 720. The pawl
head gets worn down and the lever gets hollowed out so
eventually it wont throw the pawl far enough to unlock
combined with the wear on the shifter rod

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back