Side mount distributor

I have purchased several distributor rotors. Each one is very difficult to install. Do they all have to be forced on?
Also, do distributor capacitors fail? I have traced the complete electrical system and still fail to start. Capacitor is the only item not new.

Hi Charles, welcome to the forum.
No, the rotor should not be difficult to take off or put on. There is a little metal clip that rides on the top of the shaft, or inside the rotor. Make sure you only have one of them (hang on to any extras, they can get lost). Also check the shaft for rust or something that's keeping the rotor from sliding over the shaft.
As for the condenser, yes they do break down over the years and can fail, however new ones out of the box have been found bad also. It's the world we live in now.
From what you are saying, I assume you have no spark at the plugs, correct?

Upvote 0
I have spark. New plugs & wire. After I changed points & plugs it started ruff. Before this recent episode start would be reliable with a hot battery. That rotor problem has been around for 25 years. Every one I buy is very hard to press on. One tractor supply said it was normal. I've had points veh for 60+ years, never had a rotor needing to be forced on. Difficult to remove also.

Upvote 0
I agree, with Jim - the rotor should fit firm, not tight - and the metal clip is important. Without the clip it will be sloppy. Perhaps someone modified the end of the rotor shaft to compensate for a missing clip? Also, my number one advice for poor running with new points is to scrap them and buy some new, high quality points. Most aftermarket points today are cheesy look-a-like crap. I can say Standard Ignition FD-8081, or NAPA CS753 usually work.

Upvote 0
I broke a rotor finishing up repairs on my'51 and mangled the clip. I ended up buying the Standard FD-8081 but since it cost so much($18) I went ahead and ordered three extra rotors and three clips from this site. I waited and installed the more reasonably priced one first and it broke. Second attemp worked and the engine started and ran. For some reason the rotor wasn't seating all the way on the shaft. I put the $tandard rotor away for later.

Upvote 0
I broke a rotor finishing up repairs on my'51 and mangled the clip. I ended up buying the Standard FD-8081 but since it cost so much($18) I went ahead and ordered three extra rotors and three clips from this site. I waited and installed the more reasonably priced one first and it broke. Second attempt worked and the engine started and ran. For some reason the rotor wasn't seating all the way on the shaft. I put the $tandard rotor away for later.
FD-8081X is the Standard Ignition/Blue Streak ignition points part number for the side distributor, NOT the Rotor. The Rotor is p/n FAA-12200-B. So be clear of what you are telling us. A good set of points at $18 is average and not expensive but depending on where you buy from, I’ve seen some try and sell for $65 and more. Are you snapping off Rotors? Do you have much slop in the shaft? Did you replace the bushing and ream to correct size? Do you have the correct 8N unit, not an NAA or after? The Rotor tang contact should have about a .006” gap and never make direct contract with the cap contact. If you bent the tang at assembly could be why you are snapping them off.

The FORD TRACTOR ANGLE-MOUNT (SIDE) DISTRIBUTOR, USED 1950-1964 was first introduced with late 8N Model. It was a better designed unit than the previous notorious Front Mount unit and parts and the setting/timing procedure was different as well. The 8N used its own shaft but after 1953 all models used a newer shaft style. New parts are universal today made to fit 8N and up Models. Setting the points at tune-up is done a certain way. You need your Owner's Manual and a copy of the I&T F0-4 Manual and read those chapters. There is a sde inspection cover on the engine LH side bell housing to access the flywheel and set timing with a timing light. The 8N is set at 4 DEG BTDC at 400 RPM. You can use a preliminary setting by thumbing over Spark Plug #1. Follow details in your ESSENTIAL MANUALS.

Start over and go slow. It's obvious you are doing something wrong.

Tim Daley (MI)

Attachments

• SIDE DISTRIBUTOR - PARST LIST.jpg
    SIDE DISTRIBUTOR - PARST LIST.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 8
  • 8N ANGLE DIST CWIRING -.jpg
    8N ANGLE DIST CWIRING -.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 9
  • 8N ANGLE DISTRIBUTOR - PARTS ID VIEW.jpg
    8N ANGLE DISTRIBUTOR - PARTS ID VIEW.jpg
    836.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 8N ANGLE MOUNT DISTRIBUTOR - INTERNAL VIEW.jpg
    8N ANGLE MOUNT DISTRIBUTOR - INTERNAL VIEW.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 8N DISTRIBUTOR - AFTER 263843.jpg
    8N DISTRIBUTOR - AFTER 263843.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 9
  • 8N SIDE DIST - PARTS.jpg
    8N SIDE DIST - PARTS.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 9
  • 8N SIDE DISTRIBUTOR EXPLODED VIEW.jpg
    8N SIDE DISTRIBUTOR EXPLODED VIEW.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 9
Upvote 0

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back