Slower ground speed for MF 245

I have a MF 245 that I have had for years. It has the Perkins diesel engine, and it starts every time. I use it mostly to mow and feed round bales. It has served me well. I recently put purchased a 3 pt tiller for my garden. The tractor handles it well, but it really should have a lower ground speed. Are there any modifications that can be made to make run slower in L1 gear. Y the way it has reverse and 1-3 forward gears in the low and high range. I would appreciate any help. Thanks!

I've used a 245D like yours with a six foot tiller for over 26 years. Never had an issue with not going slow enough. I don't run it at rated RPM though, usually around 1400-1500 engine RPM. It almost works too well in my light clay soil, really gets things loosened up. Ensure you are running it in Engine Speed and not Ground speed which means the PTO lever is pulled back. I also use a turning plow first then the tiller for the garden, and it's not the best choice for sod, leaves a lot of clumps. Hope this helps.

If the soil has not been worked for a long time especially if the tiller is too large for your tractor.
The first pass should be only 3 or 4 inchches deep
second pass deeper and so.

If you try to work hard soil soil at first pass the tiller will jump and
demand more power from the tractor. I use a 4 foot tiller with my MF-135 Z-145 engine
used as described above works very well.

HTH, Bart

Thanks for the response. I didn t grow up on tractors, so there is still a lot I can learn about using tractors. I am pulling the pro lever back. But, I have been running the engine rpm s where it is marked for the 540 pto just like you do when you mow with a rotary mower. For some reason I thought you had to do that. I ll try cutting the rpm s down.

That's the ideal speed that implements are designed for and with some, such as a rotary mower and perhaps a baler and maybe some harvesting implements that speed is more
critical to get the work done. However for other implements that's not necessarily the case. The faster the tiller turns for a given ground speed, the finer the tilled
soil will usually end up. However, in heavy or hard soil small bites with more passes are better, so if you have a faster moving tractor, shallow and slower speed
combined will make those bites smaller. Unless the tiller is way oversized to the tractor, the lower rpm will still be powerful enough for the tiller. Hope this helps.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back