Snow Plowing

TL (Va)

Any snow plowing veterans out there have any tips or tricks for keeping snow from sticking to a back blade? Sometimes snow will stick to my blade and pile up to the point that it tries to pull my front end into the ditch. I mostly use the blade for gravel road maint but we might actually get some snow this week. Thanks!

Clean/sand it smooth then prime and paint it.
Once it has a nice finish, wax it with a good paste car wax.
If you need it right now when it's too cold to paint, just wax it.

Another easier alternative to the wax is to spray it with cheap
dollar store cooking spray. The equivalent of Pam.
I actually think the wax works better, but the spray is easier to
use on snowblowers. Gets into the chute a whole lot easier.

Thanks! I think I'll try the wax or pam. I hate to paint because I think it would be worn off by next winter. We have had a ton of rain this winter, but very little snow.

You're welcome.
Priming and painting it will help keep rust from pitting it worse.
So even if you have to touch it up every year it might be worth it.
I use Rustoleum and a brush/roller on mine.
Then I wax it heavily. No real need to polish it like a car though! ;)

I painted the inside of my snow bucket with a product called lubriplate, it is a graphite coating. I got mine at NAPA. It came in a quart can. I brushed it on. Works great, snow doesn't stick in the bucket.

(quoted from post at 16:59:27 02/11/14) Thanks for all the suggestions! Looks like a big one (for VA) could be on the way real soon.
think you are correct on the snow for us. Whats big for us would only be a dusting for our friends up North. Hope to use the N tomorrow in the snow.

I angled my blade as far as it will go and plow in 3rd gear, it flings the snow out better.
I would also keep my hand on the lever to raise the blade and when I feel it starting to pull me sideways.

Gary (Or)

(quoted from post at 05:00:09 02/13/14) I angled my blade as far as it will go and plow in 3rd gear, it flings the snow out better.
I would also keep my hand on the lever to raise the blade and when I feel it starting to pull me sideways.

Gary (Or)

Gary, I did the same when we had a foot of powder, 3rd works real good. Yesterday in the slush it was first gear and had to be careful. about all gone here in Banks now. I had fun for three days.
mvphoto3511.jpg

(quoted from post at 21:00:09 02/12/14) I angled my blade as far as it will go and plow in 3rd gear, it flings the snow out better.

Gary (Or)
Thanks, looks like I'll try it tomorrow AM

(quoted from post at 17:11:59 02/13/14) Best way I know of to keep snow from sticking to a plow is to move to a warmer climate! :lol:

Rick
Maui would be nice. Don't know how I would get my tractor over there!
Snowing again here. I just got in from plowing 11"off a mile of road and a couple of short driveways, mine and a neighbor who happened to be standing by the road with a bottle of red wine in his hand. Ready for a nice nap!

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back