Source for buzz saw belt??

I'm posting this on the 8N site instead of implements as this forum seems to be the hangout for those most knowledgeable. I am looking for a replacement belt for my Dearborn buzz saw. Yesterday I struggled trying to make my buzz saw belt track square and finally gave up (I'm fitting it on my Ford 860). The old belt that I got with the saw is 99" long and is too short (even with the adjusters fully adjusted). I found in the Dearborn parts list that the belt should be 8.5 feet (102") which by my estimate seems about right. I have the proper belt pulley with the center link tang. Can anybody steer me to an online source who makes up 5" wide belts? Also, I got the saw, belt, blade and pulley for $100 bucks. Hate to spend more than that for the belt! Thanks

I'm posting this on the 8N site instead of implements as this forum seems to be the hangout for those most knowledgeable. I am looking for a replacement belt for my Dearborn buzz saw. Yesterday I struggled trying to make my buzz saw belt track square and finally gave up (I'm fitting it on my Ford 860). The old belt that I got with the saw is 99" long and is too short (even with the adjusters fully adjusted). I found in the Dearborn parts list that the belt should be 8.5 feet (102") which by my estimate seems about right. I have the proper belt pulley with the center link tang. Can anybody steer me to an online source who makes up 5" wide belts? Also, I got the saw, belt, blade and pulley for $100 bucks. Hate to spend more than that for the belt! Thanks
If you are in farm country a dealer or farm supply store that deals with big round baler belts should be able to make up one for you. But the wishful thinking of keeping it in the $100 price range is just that, wishful thinking! I suppose if you were lucky you could find a decent used length from someone who had just changed all the belts on a baler including one or two that had some life left, but it still would beed to be cut to length and "laced".

Or, Google "Flat machine belt", lots of things to look at there!

The DEARBORN CORDWOOD SAW uses a 8-1/2" long by 5" wide belt per parts manual. 99"is too short as you know. There were two pulleys made - a rockwood hard maple unit and a later steel one, 9" diameter. I found mine on ebay, used and about 25' long so I had to cut and splice it..You might try a John Deere outlet, CNH, or even TSC might sell new belts for balers and such. There used to be a place called WELDON RUBBER COMPANY for belts but I had no success in finding them so likely out of business. The saw does not use a toplink. The Belt Pulley has a special bracket bolted on it for the connection to the saw, SEE PIC 5. It had legs and transport was easy - just raise the 3-PT. OSHA would not allow an implement like this today. A&O manual says to have two guys operate it. One on tractor and one on saw.

Your Mileage May Vary,
Tim Daley (MI)

Attachments

• TIM DALEY - 1948 8N & DEARBORN CORDWOOD SAW - PIC 1.jpg
    TIM DALEY - 1948 8N & DEARBORN CORDWOOD SAW - PIC 1.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 26
  • TIM DALEY - 1948 8N & DEARBORN CORDWOOD SAW - PIC 2.jpg
    TIM DALEY - 1948 8N & DEARBORN CORDWOOD SAW - PIC 2.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 23
  • TIM DALEY - 1948 8N & DEARBORN CORDWOOD SAW - PIC 3.jpg
    TIM DALEY - 1948 8N & DEARBORN CORDWOOD SAW - PIC 3.jpg
    252.3 KB · Views: 30
  • DEARBORN CORDWOOD SAW - PARTS LIST 1.jpg
    DEARBORN CORDWOOD SAW - PARTS LIST 1.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 27
  • TIM DALEY - 1948 8N & DEARBORN CORDWOOD SAW - PIC 4.jpg
    TIM DALEY - 1948 8N & DEARBORN CORDWOOD SAW - PIC 4.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 28
  • TIM DALEY = 1948 8N & DEARBORN CORDWOOD SAW PIC 5.jpg
    TIM DALEY = 1948 8N & DEARBORN CORDWOOD SAW PIC 5.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 31
Just about any baler dealer would be able to splice in a piece of belt to add some length, IF it was a more common width. 5" belts aren't common at all, most dealers won't have any in stock. You may find someone with a used 4" belt laying around, if that will work. Otherwise forget about keeping it under $100.

Jeff-
I had the name spelled wrong. It is WELTON with a 'T' and I found the mfg co web site... see LINK

Tim Daley (MI)

There is a conclusion to this thread. I found a source for a new belt. A company called Americas Seed and Belting of Bonham TX is having one made for me and it's costing $140 bucks. They are the distributor for Welton Rubber.

There is a conclusion to this thread. I found a source for a new belt. A company called Americas Seed and Belting of Bonham TX is having one made for me and it's costing $140 bucks. They are the distributor for Welton Rubber.
Sounds like a GREAT deal!

Dang, I live in Bonham Tx! Good to know.

You might want to measure first before you buy. Take a tape measure and wrap it around the setup pulley to pulley with saw fully down. SPEC says 8-1/2 FEET length but I had to add about a 3" section as I cut mine at that but was still too short when I bought it.

Tim Daley (MI)

Attachments

• DEARBORN CORDWOOD SAWS - MANUAL.jpg
    DEARBORN CORDWOOD SAWS - MANUAL.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 24
Tim, yes - I got the 8 1/2 feet from the book. It passes the smell test. I had the short one on, but I could not adjust the tracking as the jack screws/adjusting slots were fully consumed and it kept tracking to the side. I carefully measured the short one. It was 99 inches. I figured I needed to let it out another 1.5-2 inches (per side), which puts me at 102-103" - so when I found the 8.5 feet in the book I felt verified.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back