spin on oil filter for IH 444 gas tractor

INCase

was wondering what options there might be for a spin on oil filter adapter for an IH 444 gas tractor. it currently has a cartridge type filter which i can never seem to get to stop leaking. Could never get my Case 800 with the same set up to stop leaking either. doesn't leak a lot but shouldn't leak any.

I've seen some for Farmall H's that "say" they will work on 444's but wasn't sure if the H engine is a close enough cousin to the 444's engine.

Thanks.

The h ones fit a lot. They fit my c-123 on my super c. It appears an h and a 444 both have C153 engines. I’d say there’s an extremely strong possibility. However there is a caveat there’s some bold print on a lot of them that they do not fit tractors with hydraulics. I’m assuming that means if the extra block with lines is there no room for the adapter. Mine didn’t have it just had the touch set for the cultivators. I’m assuming your 444 will have it. I had no trouble. They don’t really advertise them for other models I’ve never really understood why if some have differences. If the filter they sold wasn’t quite what a smaller one needed? Not sure but I’ve been using a wix on mine with no trouble

was wondering what options there might be for a spin on oil filter adapter for an IH 444 gas tractor. it currently has a cartridge type filter which i can never seem to get to stop leaking. Could never get my Case 800 with the same set up to stop leaking either. doesn't leak a lot but shouldn't leak any.

I've seen some for Farmall H's that "say" they will work on 444's but wasn't sure if the H engine is a close enough cousin to the 444's engine.

Thanks.
I believe the later C-153 engine has a full flow filtered oil system, where as an H etc. has a bypass design that only filters a small percentage of oil from the oil pump. I would make sure this is confirmed by someone who has actually worked on one of those C-153s, I have not. It is very important the correct filter is installed on a full flow system or engine damage will result.

I believe the later C-153 engine has a full flow filtered oil system, where as an H etc. has a bypass design that only filters a small percentage of oil from the oil pump. I would make sure this is confirmed by someone who has actually worked on one of those C-153s, I have not. It is very important the correct filter is installed on a full flow system or engine damage will result.
https://www.mycnhistore.com/us/en/c...56875BD6/E4D86496-EFBE-E111-9FCE-005056875BD6

Kit (nla) for converting cartridge filter engines to spin-on.

https://www.mycnhistore.com/us/en/c...56875BD6/E4D86496-EFBE-E111-9FCE-005056875BD6

Spin-on filter for later serial number engines 57,581 and up, I wonder (as you do) if these later engines has a "full-flow" oil filtering system as they were made into the late '80's?

The bolt/connector no. 1 is not shown on the CNHI parts book in wo’s link is 539968R1. The number is a shown on Messicks part catalog. Unfortunately, a web search for it brings up nothing.

I bought those adapters for my C and my H and I was not impressed. After I installed them I noticed that my oil pressure lower on both tractors. Like over 10 pounds. I took them both off and they are still sitting on the shelf. Your experience might vary, but I would keep a close eye on your oil pressure when you install them.

OTJ

What I posted in my first reply still stands. I would have to see the set up to verify that it is a bypass filter design. I know a lot of the tractors Stiener references that they claim it fits are bypass systems.

Well it does appear like a lot of those numbers aren’t available from case ih anymore. I was able to get mine through them but I had to ask the right parts man it took a few tries 10 years ago. It also appears like theres about 3 choices from aftermarket ones and mine was the bolt down type plate. The other was bolt to the side of the block so it should be kinda easy to tell. As far as a filter goes as long as there isn’t a change in pressure it should work fine. If he has super high oil pressure after it’s changed he needs some more open filter media usually cheaper filter. If it’s super low more paper aka higher quality filter. I got lucky when I picked my number on the tractor sometimes it takes a few tries. I got lucky on my pickup too when the new oil pan thread changed sizes on my Chevy pickup and we grabbed a random cheap one one for a Datsun off the shelf. I’m due for one of these switches to take at least a second try.

Unless your base or filter bell is damaged, it should work fine if you carefully install it. Are you digging out the old gasket and replacing it each time? I have occasionally had leaks if I did not get the gasket in correctly, or got the bell cover slightly askew. But over 30 years that has only happened a couple of times on my 2424

Your original filter should not leak. A couple years ago I bought 3 filters from the CINH dealer. All 3 leaked around the gasket. I went to NAPA one time and O'Reilly the next time. Those filters did not leak. Over time the copper washer at the top of the filter housing needs to be replaced. Your dealer has them. As stated above, be sure to dig all the old gasket out. I also scrape that area with a small screw driver with a reg wrapped around it.
Dave.

I bought those adapters for my C and my H and I was not impressed. After I installed them I noticed that my oil pressure lower on both tractors. Like over 10 pounds. I took them both off and they are still sitting on the shelf. Your experience might vary, but I would keep a close eye on your oil pressure when you install them.

OTJ
I got one of those adapters for my H and oil pressure dropped drastically, went to 0 at idle, it is on the shelf now, had extra filters, but they fit the Case Backhoe. Gene

Agree on NAPA. I used to be able to get the filters at Tractor Supply or Auto Zone (both FRAM, I think). But seems the only place I can find them every time has been NAPA for quite a few years.

I do have a Napa filter in now. Don't recall if they top washer was with it or not. Off hand i'm thinking it was not.

thanks for the information. A filter leak will be better than a blown engine if the adapter isn't right. only gets used for mowing/brushhogging and a little scraper work.

Here is what YT offers:

Last edited:
Here is what YT offers:

That fits the diesel version, the O.P. stated his a "gas".

I do have a Napa filter in now. Don't recall if they top washer was with it or not. Off hand i'm thinking it was not.

thanks for the information. A filter leak will be better than a blown engine if the adapter isn't right. only gets used for mowing/brushhogging and a little scraper work.
If they are selling the adapters and say they fit your application they must be correct. This is what I would do, might be a little messy. Check what system it has, by taking the filter can off, and take the filter out. Screw the canister back on and screw it down to where you have a 1/16“ gap between it and the housing base. Pull the coil wire and crank the engine about five seconds. If it flows out kind of like a garden hose, then you have a full flow system. If it’s just a small stream, then your system is a bypass type filter. Usually the bypassed oil is bled off the pressure system flowing through a hole about a size of a pencil lead.

If they are selling the adapters and say they fit your application they must be correct. This is what I would do, might be a little messy. Check what system it has, by taking the filter can off, and take the filter out. Screw the canister back on and screw it down to where you have a 1/16“ gap between it and the housing base. Pull the coil wire and crank the engine about five seconds. If it flows out kind of like a garden hose, then you have a full flow system. If it’s just a small stream, then your system is a bypass type filter. Usually the bypassed oil is bled off the pressure system flowing through a hole about a size of a pencil lead.
Look at the bolt in the linked conversion kit which they are selling for a WIDE range of engines (Combines: 105, 122, 140, 203, 62, 64, 76, 91, 93. Fits IH Industrial: 2404, 2444, 2504, Crawlers: 500, 500C, T340, T340A, T4, T4B, T5, T5B, T5C, Forklift: 4000, Power Units: U123, U2, U2A, UC135, UC135B, UC153, Rubber Tired Loaders: 3514, H30F, H30R, H50. Fits Tractors: C, Super A, Super A-1, Super AV, Super AV-1, Super C, 100, 130, 140, 200, 230, 240, 330, 340, 404, 424, 444, 504. Fits Balers: 55T, 55W, 56T, 56W, 57T, Carrier: 660, Hi-Clear Sprayers: 770, 780, Windrowers: 161, 163, 201, 210, 225, 230, 275, 375)...

it's not large enough for a "full flow" system and appears to be larger than it should be for a "bypass" system UNLESS there's a restriction in the passage or the top end is smaller.

tboA2BM.jpeg

That MAY be why there are reports of lower oil pressure when this kits are installed.

HgtG4HD.jpeg

Look at the relatively TINY restriction/orifice hole on the original filter bolt.

Thanks.
Before you go to too much trouble, compare prices of spin-on vs. cartridge. You may pay more to make the same mess.
Changed my Ford 9700 to spin-on… made the same hideous mess, the filters were 30$ against 12$ , and that giant filter wrench was always at the wrong farm.
I gave up after years of that bs and got the can from a junkyard and went back to cartridge.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back