steering clutch of T6 international crawler

How does one remove the steering clutch from a T6 International clutch? Its the left hand side. I have the ten bolts out of the steering clutch drum, now how would I remove the whole assembly? Thanks, Dick V. in Smithers.

I have 2 crawlers, a TD6, serial number TDBK 38246 and a T6, serial number TBK 38039. Does anyone know what year these cats would be?

There are some terrific resources here but for specific IH crawler questions, I suggest a visit to the Redpower Construction Equipment forum
http://www.redpowermagazine.com/forums/index.php?showforum=9

You can search the archives there for your steering clutch removal questions, (hint, it helps if you fabricate or borrow 3 compression tools).

Wish I was as young again as when I done the first one,tank off,top cover off,remove all the bolts that hold the clutch drum to the final drive pinion flange,remove the bolts holding the retainer to the ring gear housing,you need 3 x 7/16 unc bolts to screw into the clutch hub to compress it,it will not come out without compressing,push the retainer away from the housing and push the clutch drive shaft into the clutch,the clutch will now lift out.
AJ

IHC use to make horseshoe shped tool that went around the stub axle that bolted on to the clutch pack and the three7/16 unc bolts A.J. was saying goes though and tightenes down to compress the clutch pack. The last thing I, saw from IHC was three metal blocks with holes drilled in them to do the same thing .When you, unbolt the clutch you, have chainhoist or something there ,the clutch pack and drum heavy.

Hello Dick, --- 31 / oct / 2007 ---

Your TD-6 S# TDBK 38246 was made in 1955.
Your T-6 S# TBK 38039 was made in 1955.

Milton

Hi, I'm new to the site and have been working on a TD6 with a Bucyrus blade that I received from my father. There has always been some confusion as to what year it is. Chassis serial # TDBK24248T7CC, Engine serial #UD281-M4. The chassis number I believe indicates 1949. But I read somewhere that the D281 wasn't installed until like 1960 and was a 6 cylinder. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, John

281 is a late model 4 cylinder engine that starts on gas and switched over to diesel. A 282 is a 6 cylinder engine that starts directly on diesel and came out in 1959.
DWF

The clutch on the T6/TD6 must be compressed before it can be removed, there are three jacking bolts used to do so, I forget the size now as it's sixty years since I have been at one of those, I think the bolts were 7/16 UNC, Go like said to Red Power and someone will have a manual.
Good luck
AJ

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back