Steering gear box and shaft.

Ozlander

I have a 850. I was wondering have years and models of the steering gear box will fit it.
Thinking of adding electric power steering and if I bought a used steering unit, I could do all the figuring and fitting on the bench.

I assume that you're intending to start with a mechanical power steering setup. If so, the steering gear is the same for all 600, 601, 800, 801 and 4 cylinder (pre-1965) 2000 and 4000 ag chassis models.

(quoted from post at 10:37:14 06/06/23) I assume that you're intending to start with a mechanical power steering setup. If so, the steering gear is the same for all 600, 601, 800, 801 and 4 cylinder (pre-1965) 2000 and 4000 ag chassis models.

Yes, the EPS unit would go on between the gear box the steering wheel.
I would think a later unit would have less wear.

This post was edited by Ozlander on 06/06/2023 at 09:40 am.

Understand that a manual box was never meant for power assist. If the motor is powerful and you have a front
end loader, you'll have that box tore up in no time.

This has been discussed several times on the
N Board - where they will spend Thousands on
upgrade rather than buy a better tractor.

Here is my take on the matter:
Every Ford power steering/power assist system
applys its assist in FRONT of the steering
box. Your typical electric steering motor
will apply its assist Behind the steering
box.
Adding one means you'll be doubling or
tripling or even Quadrupling the amount of
torque you are putting into that box.
So as Bern suggests, you will wear out your
steering gears in short order.
And that's to say nothing about the Horrible
looking cobble job it puts on your tractor.

(quoted from post at 16:28:01 06/07/23) the Horrible
looking cobble job it puts on your tractor.

"Horrible cobble job it puts on your tractor",
O ye of little faith.
You won't even see it, no sheetmetal cut if I do it. But I'm not you.

I'd be far less worried about how it looks, and far more worried about how long it lasts. If you don't
believe me, I've seen multiple 3000 tractors have hydraulic motors inserted in series like you plan to do.
None of those steering boxes made it more than a few years, and none of them had loaders. Proceed at your
own risk.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back