Stopping with a Super C

Midway

I do not post much but read and enjoy the sight. I pull a 16ft. Hay ride wagon on the 4th of July family picnic with a M farmall but this year will be using a
Super C. The tractor is in great condition with good brakes and has a set of rear wheel weights. There are no steep hills but still would like to know I
could stop and hold the wagon with 10 or so bales of hay and 20 or so adults and kids. Is the Super C heavy enough to do the job? Thanks for any
thoughts, I just like to be safe.

I did the math, think it is way too heavy.

10 bales @ 55 pounds = 550
20 people @ 150 pounds = 3000
Hay rack 1000

You are talking about 4550 pounds.

Don't think any of our hay wagons weighed that much and I know our bales were closer to 45#. Adults or kids?

On the level should be no problem. You aren't running in 4th are you? Just throttle down to help with the braking.

Only if you are an experienced driver with good mindfulness of the road conditions, traffic, and stopping distances. Put the equal weight in the trailer of Hay bales, 50 of those bales or so. Then drive it around some to get the feel of the way it handles and stops. Jim

my first tractor was a c did everything with her heavy loads of hay on grades very slow 2nd gear make sure brakes adjusted evenly or you will pull to strong side brake lock on take care like I told my kids if you tell tractor something stupid to do it will you are the brains

Like already said put equivalent weight on it and drive the course. Will tell you. Though I think it will be fine. It will weigh about the same as a N series ford or a 135 sized fergie. Neighbor used to pull full loads of hay on hay wagons and have one on the baler with the wagon being loaded as well. It was not flat on his hay field either.

Fifty years ago we would haul hay wagons with a C Farmall when no other tractors were available, but it was undersized for the job. If anything happens everyone will question why such a small tractor was used when so many other tractors are available. I would use a bigger tractor or let someone else pull the hay ride wagon this year.

Get one of these.
If you get into trouble have one of the passengers heave it off the back of the hayrack.

cvphoto47109.jpg

Just take a break, sit quietly, and think about the day after an accident where folks were injured. Now imagine what you would give on that day to be able to rewind a day or so.

If you do not think you would wish to rewind a day then by all means go on and do what you wish. But you must question the safety else you would not be here asking strangers to bless your desire. Take your own questions to heart.

If you're going three mph in a soft field that's one thing but going 12mph on a paved road with hills is another thing. I think you have to answer your own question.

Thanks for the advice. Did not know if SC was heavy enough for the load. I will find a bigger tractor.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back