Sub-arc welder

Duane-WI: it's a submerged arc machine--the arc is "submerged" in a granular flux that's fed through the tube around the electrode. Among other things, this keeps spatter down and produces very clean, uniform welds. Video attached is a pipe machine doing sub-arc welding--lots more on Youtube with a bit of searching but this will show you the basic operation.
sub arc welding
Thats how they make line pipe and wind turbine towers. A machine rolls the steel plate into a circle, and they join the end using a submerged arc weld. The welder is computer controlled.

As miangus stated. Linepipe is made by the UOE process. A plate is formed into a U shape, rolled into an O, the joint is welded then it's expanded to get it round. When I retired from Lincoln in '14 they were just getting into spiral-welding pipe. A continuous strip is edge-beveled, rolled on a diagonal then welded all in one pass. The linear travel and rotation are controlled.

The answer is very dependent on the material of the crankshaft, and its treatment when manufactured. From high carbon to alloy. Jim

The answer is very dependent on the material of the crankshaft, and its treatment when manufactured. From high carbon to alloy. Jim
Thanks. I’ve been trying to locate a place that can provide analysis of material but have been unsuccessful. I’ve got a 2 cylinder deere crank that needs a journal welded up and I would like to give it a try but don’t really know where to start, I believe they are forged steel.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back