Super M transmission input needle bearing

Rock2001

New User
I was putting my transmission back together and sadly didn't quite have the main shaft lined up with the input shaft. As I tapped the input shaft in, you guessed it, I broke the needle bearing (arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrg!). I'm searching around but I'm not finding the part online. Anyone know the best place to get it?

Thanks

IH 43357DA, the replacement bearing retains the rollers internally and drives into the input shaft. Then the center race is all that is held by the bolt on the rear main transmission shaft. Search that number and some of the results show the manufacturers numbers stamped in it in their parts photo. You have to know what you’re doing to cross it over, the letters in front of and behind the number change the bearing configuration quite a bit. If you find a bearing guy that can get you one for under $100 he is doing you good.
CNHI Farmall M trans parts (part 72)
Messicks M parts
You probably didn’t know about the rubber band truck. A rubber band is placed around the rollers to hold up the bottom ones from hanging down. The rubber band just disintegrates in the oil. Forgot I have one, but don’t have the inner race.
IMG_3022.jpeg

$100! Ooooooo I feel sick. I had no idea the mistake would be that pricey.

So this replacement is a different configuration than original? Half needs to be pressed into the input shaft? And the inner race is slid (pressed?) onto the main shaft? I presume I need to remove the old inner race? Is there an easy way to get that off, because I was struggling to pry the old needle cage off the shaft. I didn't even think that inner race came off.

No I wasn't aware of the rubber band trick. I don't think my shaft was well aligned anyway, although I was trying to jiggle it. Is there any trick to putting it together with this new bearing that will keep me from damaging this one? Or is it just matter of knowing to be careful now?

Thanks

Are you trying to do this with the belt pulley or cover still on the top? If so I don’t know how successful you’ll be with that back shaft hanging down. That bolt comes out of the rear shaft that holds the bearing on there. I don’t know of trick that would hold those internal rollers up. I could think of a few I might try if one was giving me trouble. I wouldn’t broadcast them until after I tried it and it was successful.

No I have the cover off, tractor all separated. I just got careless. I thought the input shaft was so tight that I needed to tap it in, and I thought the jiggle of the main shaft was plenty to align it. I should have at least slid one pair of gears onto the countershaft to get it closer aligned. Maybe just slow and steady with attempt #2, with no tapping, and see how it goes.
Thanks

Try calling Rice Equipment in Clarion PA. Ask about ordering the bearing through him, he gets better pricing from bearing companies than you buying it retail.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back