T4 100 V Skid Plate

okgat

Last year while flailing in our orchard, I ran over a limb which ripped a hydraulic hose under the tractor. I am now trying to construct a skid plate. I have a few questions I hope you will answer.

1. I planned on using 3/16' steel plate. Is that thick enough?

2. I planned on installing a 3/8" bracket on two bolts that hold the step in place on each side. (See photo 1) They are 8mm bolts.
a. Is this area strong enough to hold the 100 lb. skid place using the 8mm bolts?
b. I also thought about using two 8mm bolt holes along the right side of the engine. (See photo 2) Would this be strong enough?

3. As seen in photo 3, under the tractor, I wondered what the 2 large bolts support. Would this be a secure area to attach a bracket?

4. On the left side of the tractor (photo 4) I did not find any other viable locations to secure the bracket, except for the step. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• PXL_20240123_200520486.MP[1].jpg
    PXL_20240123_200520486.MP[1].jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 13
  • PXL_20240123_200553589[1].jpg
    PXL_20240123_200553589[1].jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 15
  • PXL_20240123_200803745.MP[1].jpg
    PXL_20240123_200803745.MP[1].jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 11
  • PXL_20240123_201227792[1].jpg
    PXL_20240123_201227792[1].jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 11
I know the challenges of working in and around trees. I operate a nursery and have dealt with limbs stuck under the tractor numerous times. I personally think the idea of a skid plate would be of little help, and having to work around it would be too much of a challenge. When changing fluids and filters , it would be in the way.

Not sure about your mounting but i did install one n a neighbors kubota couple years ago. Was not in way for anything. Saved his hydraulics many times cleaning up brush and such.

I know the challenges of working in and around trees. I operate a nursery and have dealt with limbs stuck under the tractor numerous times. I personally think the idea of a skid plate would be of little help, and having to work around it would be too much of a challenge. When changing fluids and filters , it would be in the way.
That's really insightful. When I go to chop up the prunings I am going to have to be more careful. Thanks for responding.

Not sure about your mounting but i did install one n a neighbors kubota couple years ago. Was not in way for anything. Saved his hydraulics many times cleaning up brush and such.
Thanks for responding. Do you think a 3/16" skid plate is thick enough? Do you also think that 8 mm bolts would work out for securing the skid plate?

Thanks for responding. Do you think a 3/16" skid plate is thick enough? Do you also think that 8 mm bolts would work out for securing the skid plate?
We used 3/8th plate. He was working in a area with some stumps and there were grown up areas he could not see well. We used 1/2 inch and 3/4 in bolts if i remember correctly. Used tapped holes on side and bottom of tractor that were already there. Also made a bracket to secure one corner to his loader mount. A floor jack and it is easy to take off/on. I dont think 3/16 would give you the protection you are looking for. He had broken a hydraulic line before we installed it.

We used 3/8th plate. He was working in a area with some stumps and there were grown up areas he could not see well. We used 1/2 inch and 3/4 in bolts if i remember correctly. Used tapped holes on side and bottom of tractor that were already there. Also made a bracket to secure one corner to his loader mount. A floor jack and it is easy to take off/on. I dont think 3/16 would give you the protection you are looking for. He had broken a hydraulic line before we installed it.
Greatly appreciate your response. Thank you

Greatly appreciate your response. Thank you
One other thought. On front end of plate we angled a piece up as much as possible to avoid sticks trash and such from getting between it and tractor

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back