The Best JD 2-Cylinder Tractor For My Needs?

Thanks for the replies everyone. I‘m thinking either a B or 50 might be ideal for my needs/wants. If I wanted the bells and whistles, it’s hard to beat for the hp and price the Massey Ferguson 50 diesel - which I have two.

I need to do some more reading and actually see one of these tractors.

Any inherent issues with either a late model B or 50?

Thanks for the replies!!!
Check the flywheel for cracks. Just pop the inner cover off the flywheel cover and look at the flywheel the best you can. I've seen a few B/50 flywheels cracked. They work loose for whatever reason and then someone comes along and tightens it and cracks it.

Also engage the clutch and rock the pulley back and forth. If the pulley moves a little without turning the engine then the clutch driver is loose which is a similar headache to the flywheel. My experience has been the B's are more prone to the flywheel issue while the A's and 60's are more prone to the clutch driver issue, but either issue can occur with about any Waterloo 2 cylinder.

Attachments

• IMG_5625.JPG
    IMG_5625.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 12
Yeah I actually had the driver disc to crank splines happen to me. Pop the cover off the clutch and check and make sure everything looks normal in there the nut should be all the way tight. So you will want batteries under the seat then if you are looking at a b. The later ones had an ignition coil while the early and middle ones had magneto. You can get electronic ignition kit for the ones with a coil and make a very reliable unit. They are going to be 6 volt originally. A lot of people converted them to 12. I still think for hay a wide front b might do you well if you can find one or a 50 wide front with power steering even better

Reactions: ET
John Deere 50

If all the bells and whistles aren't working right you'll wish you had a B

Once you've experienced all the bells and whistles working right you'll never want a B, even if you have to fix all the bells and whistles

Thanks for the replies everyone. I‘m thinking either a B or 50 might be ideal for my needs/wants. If I wanted the bells and whistles, it’s hard to beat for the hp and price the Massey Ferguson 50 diesel - which I have two.

Obviously the 50 has some features that the B does not, like live hydraulics and a two barrel carb. The B, however, offers a huge amount of parts supply as they made a gazillion of them. Personally, while knowing that advantages that the 50 has over the B, I chose the B mostly just because I wanted one in my collection. As others have said, I needed to put on a salvage yard flywheel to get it to be tight to the crank as the old one was cracked. Late model Bs like mine have a Wico distributor which looks like a mag but isn't, and it is a POS. Fortunately, I had a spare mag to put on mine and it runs great with it. And it is a B, so if you are going to take it out and show it or play with it, everyone likes to see a B.

What is the best JD 2 cylinder that would be suitable for pulling a hay rake, tedder, hustling a few hay wagons and good tractor for a plow day outing?

Needs to fit on a car hauler.

Not looking for a rare collector tractor or even a rare tractor - just something in JD colors that is 2 cylinder, does not have a history of being plagued with issues - a simple tractor for my farm fleet.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!
Compared to your 3600 pound MF 50 a 2 cylinder JD will likely be heavier and have a narrow front end. Check the weight capacity of your car hauler. A late B will weigh 4000 pounds and a 50 will weigh close to 5000 pounds without ballast. A late A will weigh close to 5000 pounds and a 630 closer to 6000 pounds, all with about a 12 MPH road gear. I really like Deere, but in your situation you might be much happier with another MF, Ford or a JD utility tractor in the 1020, 1520, 2020 vintage (mid 1960s to early 1970s). The controls on a 2 cylinder JD do take some time to get used to, drive one before buying.

You will prefer a 50 vs the B .

Compared to your 3600 pound MF 50 a 2 cylinder JD will likely be heavier and have a narrow front end. Check the weight capacity of your car hauler. A late B will weigh 4000 pounds and a 50 will weigh close to 5000 pounds without ballast. A late A will weigh close to 5000 pounds and a 630 closer to 6000 pounds, all with about a 12 MPH road gear. I really like Deere, but in your situation you might be much happier with another MF, Ford or a JD utility tractor in the 1020, 1520, 2020 vintage (mid 1960s to early 1970s). The controls on a 2 cylinder JD do take some time to get used to, drive one before buying.
The 1939 to 1946 production Model B varies from 2800 to 3800 pounds.

I don't know that I'd get out of the electric chair to get on a 2 cylinder, but for what you're asking, a 530 would be my first choice. At least they look nice. You're way more likely to find a 50 or 520 though. Functionally, they'd be the equivalent.
50 lacks the complete three point hitch system the 520/530 have .

50 May also have been cheapes out with a transmission driven PtO

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back