Tractor HP recommendations…

I’m wanting to get a tractor with a loader on it or put one on it, also to drive posts in the ground with a post driver, possibly run a post hole auger to. It’ll be an older tractor $4000 or less. What would you all recommend hp wise for that?

I’m wanting to get a tractor with a loader on it or put one on it, also to drive posts in the ground with a post driver, possibly run a post hole auger to. It’ll be an older tractor $4000 or less. What would you all recommend hp wise for that?
We do not have a loader tractor on our small 40 some acre beef farm. We do have a skid steer, and a Cat 307 excavator which makes things easy. For a tractor I would say somewhere between 50 to 60 hp would do it. I’m an Oliver and Farmall guy and would say maybe an Oliver 1550/1650. Maybe a Farmall 656/666/. These are not utility tractors. If you want a utility maybe an Oliver 550. In your budget you may be limited as far as selection.

I agree with 300jk, 50-60 horsepower. I'd say stay in the mid 60's to newer time frame, most all have power steering and 3 point hitch and remotes. You don't say where you are, I'd look at what there are the most of in your area and try to find something that fits in for parts and service. You didn't say if you can fix it yourself or will be paying someone else to fix breakdowns. Ask around to see if there are any independent tractor repair shops in your area and check with them for recommendations. Whatever you buy, get a operators manual and a I&T service manual for it, lots of repairs you can do yourself.

Whatever you buy, make sure it has the loader on it already. It spares you the frustrating process of asking, "What loaders will fit XXX tractor?" then having to ask, "Will loader YYZ fit XXX tractor?" over and over. The answer always being, "It won't bolt on but with a torch and welder anything can be made to fit."

Also during your search keep saving to increase your budget. $4000 isn't going to buy you much of a tractor and loader these days. If you can spend 3 months searching and in the meantime sock away another $1000, that will increase your options greatly.

I can tell you right now that 60HP with a loader, and not complete junk, for $4000, is unrealistic.

I would also steer away from less common tractors like the aforementioned Oliver 550 due to difficulty in finding parts. I would also steer clear of IH 300/330/350 utility tractors due to, pardon the pun, their steering systems.

Beware when you find a cheap loader tractor that "just needs" whatever. The reason it didn't get what it needed is either because it's prohibitively expensive, or can't be found, anywhere, at any price.

Horsepower, little is good, more is better.

Get a Case 1370, and go to the tractor pulls on weekends.

Whatever you buy, make sure it has the loader on it already. It spares you the frustrating process of asking, "What loaders will fit XXX tractor?" then having to ask, "Will loader YYZ fit XXX tractor?" over and over. The answer always being, "It won't bolt on but with a torch and welder anything can be made to fit."

Also during your search keep saving to increase your budget. $4000 isn't going to buy you much of a tractor and loader these days. If you can spend 3 months searching and in the meantime sock away another $1000, that will increase your options greatly.

I can tell you right now that 60HP with a loader, and not complete junk, for $4000, is unrealistic.

I would also steer away from less common tractors like the aforementioned Oliver 550 due to difficulty in finding parts. I would also steer clear of IH 300/330/350 utility tractors due to, pardon the pun, their steering systems.

Beware when you find a cheap loader tractor that "just needs" whatever. The reason it didn't get what it needed is either because it's prohibitively expensive, or can't be found, anywhere, at any price.
2X on Whatever you buy, make sure it has the loader on it already.

Adding a loader and necessary ballast (1,000 pounds minimum) to an older tractor will easily cost twice as much as the price a loader adds when it is already mounted on a tractor. That is if you can find or make the brackets to fit the loader to the tractor. You will also find that power steering and good brakes are necessities under a loader. Being able to test drive a tractor and loader combination helps.

Today $4,000 might be on the very low price end for a working tractor with a loader. That might buy a tractor designed in the 1950 with a 1500 PSI or less hydraulic system with no three point hitch, or with a trip bucket loader. JD 45 trip loaders sell for around $200 with a snow bucket, those can be adapted to fit most 1950s and 1960s row crop tractors.

Maybe you could look around to see what is on the market in your area and then ask for recommendations on which to choose.

Most MFGers made good tractors,any from the '60 would fit your needs nicely. MF;Ford;IH;JohnDeere all have good dependable models.Before you get set on a specific brand/model,make sure you have a good reputable dealer in your area. You will need them.Hard to get parts/service if your closest dealer is 300 miles away.Find a tractor that interests you,then post back.40 to 50hp should be plenty adequet for your needs.

A skid steer would be the best machine for the work you described. But I fear a working skid steer is out of your price range. That said, Id buy a tractor with as much HP as you can afford, with power steering, and live PTO, Other things to consider; part availability, tire condition, engine condition, do all critical part of the tractor work as they should, does the tractor leak excessivly, etc. In regards to the loader; will it easily fit the tractor, how many welds & reenforcement work has been done, do the cylinders work/leak, does the control valve work/leak, condtion of the hydraulic hoses, condition of all the pivot pins, etc.

I agree with 300jk, 50-60 horsepower. I'd say stay in the mid 60's to newer time frame, most all have power steering and 3 point hitch and remotes. You don't say where you are, I'd look at what there are the most of in your area and try to find something that fits in for parts and service. You didn't say if you can fix it yourself or will be paying someone else to fix breakdowns. Ask around to see if there are any independent tractor repair shops in your area and check with them for recommendations. Whatever you buy, get an operators manual and a I&T service manual for it, lots of repairs you can do yourself.
I live in central KY. I will be doing the repairs myself or trying at least. Thanks for the advice!

Yeah that is true, that would save me a lot of headache for a little more money. Thanks for the recommendations and things to steer clear of!

There are many tractors to choose from that will meet your criteria, simply because that was an extremely popular set-up for the time. This would most likely be two wheel drive no power steering. To avoid a complete overhaul your main concern should be the condition of the tractor itself. Loaders are extremely easy to adapt from one tractor to another because there was no herbicide at the time. Tractors were built for quick mount dismount of cultivators. The holes used for cultivator mount are used for loader mount. Weight for traction was simply a 55 gal steel drum with rocks and cast iron in it and a chain on top, which was easily removed for PTO work. There was a tractor like this in virtually every farm yard in the late forties to the early sixties.

A Ford 800 gas with a loader might fit your criteria.
At one time I used a Ford 600 with a loader and it had power steering and I used it with a post hole digger. I don't think power steering was standard on it.
Anything newer will be in the 10,000 price range if you can even find that.

I spent about 6 months looking for my loader tractor. I ended up with IH 484 with a farmhand 22 loader. Has about 2600 hours on it. It is a 50 hp tractor with power steering and live PTO, has one remote the loader is plumbed into, but I've got plan to hard plumb it soon to free my remote back up.

I agree, buy the tractor with the loader on it. You'll likely have to increase your budget for a decent one. I drove 3.5 hrs. from East TN to up near Louisville, KY to buy mine. Cash is always king and was able to negotiate mine down to what I considered a fair price of $7,500. And don't forget about tires, they are the biggest expense next to the tractor itself.

I would buy a purpose built Industrial loader tractor, like one built for a backhoe but instead had a 3pt. Used as a skip loader and 3pt box blade for road construction or loading rock or barkdust type products. Very heavy built clutch, axle spindles and the loader it self. Lot for the IHC models had a 2-in front of the model #2404, 2424, 2444, 2504. Massey had a lot of them too, Model 20, 202, 30, 50 etc. They had power steering and heavy duty hyd pumps....James

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back