Trying to identify steering cylinder

Any clues on identifying this 1960 861 steering cylinder? One is leaking and I need to order a rebuild kit but don't know which one to order, thanks.

Attachments

• 20240310_175826.jpg
    20240310_175826.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 49
I have only fixed one for what's its worth I went by the rod size. The best I remember there are two sizes, 1/2" and 5'8" (.625)

It will probably be easier to take it to a local hydraulics shop and let them source the parts. If you want to save the cost of labor, dismantle it yourself and just take the seals to them and let them find replacements. Personally, I would pay them to dismantle it, get the parts and rebuild it. I never seem to have enough time to do all of the things that I would like to do these days.

It will probably be easier to take it to a local hydraulics shop and let them source the parts. If you want to save the cost of labor, dismantle it yourself and just take the seals to them and let them find replacements. Personally, I would pay them to dismantle it, get the parts and rebuild it. I never seem to have enough time to do all of the things that I would like to do these days.

Good point, thanks Sean.

There is nutting to repairing them you don't have to take it off the tractor. The hard part you can damage one of the seals when you slide it over the threaded part make a sleeve for the seal to pass over. I made a post on this but YT has not revived the archives. Whut size is the shaft???? a couple part numbers to look at. S.60688 and S.60666. The one I built. Worst case take it apart and match it to the numbers I posted.

850.JPG

There is nutting to repairing them you don't have to take it off the tractor. The hard part you can damage one of the seals when you slide it over the threaded part make a sleeve for the seal to pass over. I made a post on this but YT has not revived the archives. Whut size is the shaft???? a couple part numbers to look at. S.60688 and S.60666. The one I built. Worst case take it apart and match it to the numbers I posted.

View attachment 62153

Thanks, I appreciate the input. The shaft measures just over 1/2", I have rebuilt cylinders in the past but was hoping to order parts and have them ready before disassembling.

Attachments

• Seal.JPG
    Seal.JPG
    94.5 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Thanks for the links. I found the deal kit yesterday but I'm unsure on the manufacture as it indicates these only work A&I products. I as hoping to confirm before ordering any parts.
I found pix of the seal kit in mine it was S.60666, my wager the A&I is the same cylinder your call.

Attachments

• Power stering seal kit 001.JPG
    Power stering seal kit 001.JPG
    471.4 KB · Views: 13
Thanks for the links. I found the deal kit yesterday but as sure on the manufacture as it indicates these only work A&I products. I as hoping to confirm before ordering any parts.

Fixed it so the verbiage doesn't include A + I.
ALSO, It works for your application.

Fixed it so the verbiage doesn't include A + I.
ALSO, It works for your application.

Perfect, thanks. I appreciate the info and clarification on the part description.

Anyone have any reference material on rebuilding these cylinders? Looks like Hobo, NC had a thread at one time but it no longer is available. This is my first time rebuilding this style and want to make sure I don't screw it up. Thanks.

Anyone have any reference material on rebuilding these cylinders? Looks like Hobo, NC had a thread at one time but it no longer is available. This is my first time rebuilding this style and want to make sure I don't screw it up. Thanks.

Well I got the cylinder disassembled and looks like the YT kit # 115362 was not correct. The bore is larger than the kit provided parts. One of the seals is stamped with CR 504260.

Looks like Hobo, NC called it correctly. The correct part # is S.60666.

Attachments

• 20240505_205757.jpg
    20240505_205757.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 11
Last edited:

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back